Categories
Search
Bottom

Several questions

• eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Hi There,

I have several questions about my forum. If you need me to ask these in different topic, please let me know, I’ll adjust it.

1. Some of my forums are open to everyone, also not registered users. I have them set as ‘status: open’ and ‘visibility: public’ but when I visit the forum, I get a message I’m not allowed.
    The message I see is the message I set for customers that want to view a forum about a LearnDash course. Because only if the course is purchased, the forum should be visible for that user.
    But now this message also pops up on forums that have nothing to do with LearnDash.
    So how can I fix this?

2. In the forum I created some test posts and replies. So I am the author and my name is visible. But under my name (next to my role) is also my IP address showing. Why is that? And how can I deactivate that?

3. Because my website also has a shop the users will have an account of the general website. So if you want to see the profile (own profiles only) I need it to link to the user profile.
    And also the button to register or login should link to the general pages.
    Where can I set this?

4. I changed the settings of the breadcrumbs. I deleted Home, so the first one is now Forums. First Forums linked to the page I was already on. So in the bbp stylepack I set a new URL to the starting page of the forum – …com/forum. But somehow it links to …com/forums and that page I don’t want to use, never.
    In the general WP settings, I found the Forum Root Slug settings and tried to change that from forums into forum. That didn’t work.
    So now I don’t know how to make the ‘forums’ page go away and link the breadcrumb Forums to the right page.
    Do you know the solution?

This is it for now…haha.
    Hopefully you can help me, I’d really appreciate it!!
    Thanks so much already.
    Kind regards,
    Eve

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

1. suspect this is something learndash is doing – as a test confirm by deactivating learndash and see if they show.

2. The IP adrress only shows for keymasters, ordinary users won’t see it.

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Okay Robin, thanks.

Can you please also help me with question 3 and 4?
    That would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Robin W

@robin-w

I would say that I am not a bbpress author, I just started using bbpress and got interested in improving how it looks and works.

I will try and find time to look at your other questions, but I do this in my spare time 🙂

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Oh sorry Robin,
    I thought you were part of bbpress.

Do you then maybe know if I can contact them directly?

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

BTW; bbp style pack is perfect!
    It made everything easier and better!

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress is free software and has no dedicated support. The bbpress authors rarely visit the support site, and there is no way to contact them directly. That is the nature of free open software – you write it and put it out there, but with no warranty and no obligation to support.

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Okay thanks Robin!

Now I’m still struggling with the breadcrumbs. So if you could help me with that, it would be great. I’m using your bbp Style Pack (which is really helpful!) and I set the root breadcrumb to a specific name and specific URL.

The name is visible, that’s good. But the link is not using my URL in put in. I set the whole URL including https.
    Do you know what could be the problem?

Thanks again for your help, I think it’s great you’re doing this!!
    Kind regards,
    Eve

Robin W

@robin-w

on no. 4

So style pack got rid of the home – yes ? that shows that it is doing something.

So you have a page with a permalink of forum? yes?
    With presumably the [bbp-forum-index] shirtcode in it – yes ?

and you have set the breadcrumb root to …com/forum. As a test can you try setting this to

https://www.facebook.com/

and see if it takes you to facebook

This will tell us if style pack is executing the link, but something else in your site is redirecting.

Robin W

@robin-w

on 3. it normally will go to

.com/users/%username

where %username is the username !

what do you want it to go to?

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Hi Robin,
    Thanks again for your help!

On. no 4
    Yes, it got rid of the home / Yes the page is .com/forum and yesy it’s set with the shortcode.
    I tried a totally different URL like facebook, but it keeps directing me to .com/forumS with the extra s on the end.
    I also tried to set the Forum Root slug to forum instead of forums, but that didn’t work the first time. Now I did that again and it does work! So it’s fixed now.
    Conclusion; the root slug needs to be the same as the page name. Actually kinda logical, hihi…

On no. 3
    Never mind I’ll find my way I got confused I think.

So again, Robin you’re the best!
    Thanks for helping me!

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem.

on no. 3 there is a bbpress profile and a wordpress profile. Other plugins may also add their own profile pages.

If it is not the bbpress profile page you want it to go to, then do come back, I can probably give you some code.

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Oh that would be great Robin!
    I don’t want users to have more then 1 profile page.

Robin W

@robin-w

with bbpress active, I normally only let users see that profile.

You might want to disable the WordPress admin bar for ordinary users. There are a bunch of plugins that do this.

eg

Hide Admin Bar Based on User Roles

eefkedigibitch
    Participant

@eefkedigibitch

Thanks guys, I think I got it from here!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar