Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Settings for my forum

• gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

According to my WP Mail Log, every post in the BBPress Forum sends out around 30 emails to seemingly random and assorted users, many of whom have not visited the Forum for quite some time.

I would like only those who have checked the box at the bottom of that post to receive email notifications. I don’t even know where are the settings for BBPress; don’t see anything in my dashboard ‘settings’ and not on the plugins page.

WP: 5.7 Theme: Astra BBPress: 2.6.6 Site: https://gillianriley.com

Thanks.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

suspect dashboard>settings>forums>subscriptions

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

In my Dashboard at Settings there is nothing saying Forums to select.

I do have BBPress Notify plugin activated – could there be a conflict with that?

Robin W

@robin-w

Probably not with that plugin, but probably another plugin and/or your theme

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

I switched the theme to twentytwenty and then I used the Troubleshooting feature in the Health Check plugin.

To check if it was fixed, I looked in Settings to see if Forum was added as an option, and it wasn’t, even when all the plugins were disabled, and using another theme.

I had already asked a tech guy to check on the possibility of a plugin conflict and he said it wasn’t, by the way.

I wonder if reinstalling BBPress will help me? I expect that will erase all posts but switching to another forum would do that anyway.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so you should have ‘administrator’ AND ‘keymaster’ roles showing against your username, I’d suspect that Keymaster is not set. Only a Keymaster can set another Keymaster, but if you have none on your site, come back.

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

Yes, you are absolutely right. I discovered a rogue email address had taken over the Keymaster role and deleted that “User” thereby deleting the Keymaster role. I was told it didn’t matter that I didn’t have a Keymaster any more!

Robin W

@robin-w

so have you got a keymaster or do you now have none?

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

None.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, install this plugin

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>bug fixes

and you’ll be able to add yourself back as keymaster

you can deactivate and delete this style pack plugin afterwards, but you might want to make use of it’s features πŸ™‚

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

Yeah – I am now a Keymaster. Wonderful, and Forum shows up in Settings.

Still not sure how to modify notifications sent out to those posting, but I’m guessing it will work fine now that a Keymaster is back on the job?

Robin W

@robin-w

it will either be subscriptions or the notify plugin (or another bbpress related plugin!)

gillian0606
    Participant

@gillian0606

Thank you so much. The WP Mail Log looks quite different now, but I need to wait until someone posts to see how it’s working (my forum will be quiet until my next course in May).

I do love the Style Pack, have made a few changes already and fear it will eat away much time for me πŸ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you are fixed

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar