Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Set layout for forums root, forums, topics and replies

• OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

In WordPress, there is an opportunity to select the template for each page (dropdown on Edit Page and Edit Post pages).

bbPress forum root, forums, topics and replies are custom post types.

It would be good to see in bbPress the ability to set the default layout (wrapper) for each of these.

Dropdown (like the one on Edit Page page), wherein the admin can select the layouts from among the active theme’s layouts shall be ideal.

(I understand that if after this the admin decides to change the theme, (s)he will need to select the default layouts for bbPress custom posts again – just like (s)he needs to do so for normal pages and posts)

So, for instance, while the rest of my site may use 3-column (2-sidebar) layout, for forums, I may decide to go with a single-column layout.

http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1784

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

This is strictly theme controlled. Nothing bbPress can really do about overriding this for now.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

That’s a bit of a conundrum.

The author of the theme I use informs me that WP theme reviewers have recently instituted a new policy that any support for Custom Post Types does not belong in themes.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

This is totally possible, bit you need to piggy back off a better foundation.

For example, bbPress 2.1 + Genesis Framework + bbPress Genesis Extend plugin allows exactly this.

It provides ton’s of layout options for bbPress – you can inherit the site-wide Genesis layout, set your own site-wide layout just for bbPress, or set layouts on a per forum basis – like I said, tons of options.

Bottom line is using the Genesis Framework (or anything similar) it’s really simply to provide this functionality as the foundation is already there.

Trying to tackle this – and have it work for all themes and use cases – within bbPress seems like a logistic nightmare.

Having dealt directly with tons of frameworks, I can say this with pretty good confidence :)

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Jared,

What is Genesis Framework? Is it available as a WP plugin? Can I keep using my current theme and for bbPress also use Genesis Framework and bbPress Genesis Extend?

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

No the Genesis Framework is a theme framework you build themes on top of – http://www.studiopress.com/themes/genesis

It’s the same as other theme frameworks such as Thematic, Hybrid, Canvas (WooThemes), and others.

Unfortunately it’s not something you just dop in and activate to work with your current theme. Your theme has to be built on top of the framework.

A framework typically handles all of the complex functions such as dealing with the various layouts available.

This is why layout-specific control is not a good candidate for bbPress core. How a layout works and is controlled in TwentyEleven is not going to be the same as other themes – each work in their own way – so it’s not really possible to control *all* of them with a simple option. This needs to be done on a theme-by-theme basis so the option can accommodate how the theme being used handles layouts.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Is it true about the new WordPress policy that says any support for Custom Post Types does not belong in themes?

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

You mean adding new post types?

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

No. I meant providing, say, layout for bbPress pages….

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Theme’s can certainly ship with “bbPress support” if they wanted to – most just don’t.

Not sure if that’s what you are asking.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

That is kindof what I am asking.

Are themes allowed to “support” bbPress and other custom pages?

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Absolutely. Unfortunately most theme authors just don’t want to put in the time to make it “bbPress ready” out of the box.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar