Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Serious Server Issues…

• Ok I’ve posted this on WP forums but thought I should add this here since it may be a bbPress issue.

My multi author blog started crashing the server yesterday and we were offline most of the day. My host tried various things and in the end he upgraded my blog to 2.1 and he asked me if there was anything new I had installed in the last 48 hours.

I told him it was bbPress that I had installed. And yes there was heavy activity on the forum I had created for the authors with 15 to 25 authors conversing heavily in there.

So I was asked to delete the bbPress asap. I’ve delete just the files (and like a fool don’t have a backup of those files… the database tables are intact)

Question: The forums are an instant hit amongst the authors and I would like to put the files back and check if I run into the same problems… how do I do that? Just download and install the files in the same physical location and then I’m done? No setting up anything? Or if I reinstall the whole process will I overwrite my tables?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Any help please…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I am fairly certain the bb-admin/install.php checks for a previous installation. So, download the new files, copy config-sample.php over to config.php and run bb-admin/install.php. If it notices you’ve already installed, it should give you a warning that it’s already installed, and that maybe you meant to run the upgrade script. The upgrade is only useful for old installations, I think, so ignore that.

The other option is that you would just download the files and put them in the same place (replacing everything you deleted). Edit the config.php (copy config-sample.php over to config.php and edit that) and try browsing the forum. Do not run the installer. If the database tables are still there, I think this will work.

Hopefully the version you installed is still available for download (was yours 0.75?)

Of course, this is all just a guess. Can’t hurt to try though.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

From the source of install.php:

// Let's check to make sure bb isn't already installed.

if ( $installed )

die(__('<h1>Already Installed</h1><p>You appear to have already installed bbPress. Perhaps you meant to run the upgrade scripts instead? To reinstall please clear your old database tables first.</p>') . '</body></html>');

I think it would just work by browsing to your forum in that case.

Just getting your config.php the way it was before is the only deal you have to worry about (short of templates changes you lost). Just create config.php and upload all the files. It will just work.

Trent

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Thanks for the confirmation Trent. I was just guessing.

Thanks Guys… will try it out.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar