Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Sending messages to forum group members

• rhj4
    Participant

@rhj4

When I create a post in a forum, does that post get emailed to the forum’s group members? If not, how do they know that a post has been made.

I just created a post but don’t see it in my email or in the email of any group members.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

members need to subscribe to forums to be informed of new topics, and to subscribe to topics to be informed of new replies.

That way they can decide what level of email they receive

rhj4
    Participant

@rhj4

The group members have all registered to take a workshop I teach. As part of the workshop, they have a forum which has a group that contains all of the registered participants. I can send a message explicitly using the message feature, but when I simply post a message in the forum, nothing happens except that the post appears. This means I have to (1) post the message and (2) send them an email. Seems like more work than necessary.

So, direct question: Will posting a message in a forum automatically send that message to all current group members of that forum? Your answer was very unclear about this.

Robin W

@robin-w

Will posting a message in a forum automatically send that message to all current group members of that forum?
    Your answer was very unclear about this.

I thought it was quite clear 🙂 No,

members need to subscribe to forums to be informed of new topics

Each member needs to actively go to each forum and subscribe to that forum, presuming you have switched subscription on in dashboard>setting>forums>subscriptions

rhj4
    Participant

@rhj4

Just so I am clear, the fact that a person is a member of a group associated with a forum does not mean they have subscribed to the forum. Correct? S

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Hi,
    If I may add my part too:
    – If you post something, you will never receive it yourself. As you know what you have posted, you will not receive the message yourself (I hope this has not changed in the latest versions)
    – You are NOT using BuddyPress, right ? Only bbPress. Because BuddyPress might have other settings and then you might be better checking with the support overthere.
    – As Robin indicates, users need to SUBSCRIBE to a forum to receive the notifications for TOPICS that are posted in the forums.
    Hope this helps.

rhj4
    Participant

@rhj4

Thanks for the clarification. And YES, I AM using BuddyPress. How does that change things?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar