Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

SDK/API

• fhasst1
    Participant

@fhasst1

We’re looking to add a Forum feature for premium users and provide a seamless experience (e.g. once they login to the app, they’re automatically logged in to the forum as well). We don’t have a forum software yet and that’s one of the things we’re looking into.

Do you provide an SDK/API that we can use so we can build out a forum feature right inside our app without having to take the user to a different app?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You can use WordPress’s REST API to interact with forums/topics/replies the way you can with any WordPress posts, but that may not be ideal (and some of the verbiage does not directly translate very well.)

That API has only been fully available since WordPress 4.7, so we are seriously starting the process of exploring what a dedicated bbPress API should look like. Some work has gone into this already, but there is more to do.

Barry
    Participant

@barryhughes-1

Hi @fhasst1,

(Let me start by noting it could very well be that you already know this—but something in your post made me want to call it out just in case you weren’t aware.)

bbPress runs on top of WordPress. That’s important because it means if a user has logged into your (WordPress-driven) site/app then, by extension, they will have logged into the forum (insofar as bbPress will realize they are an authenticated user and will be able to identify them) … no need for a separate login.

Also, I think it’s worth calling out the fact that when it comes to adjusting the way bbPress behaves, or building some new forum feature, there is a really quite extensive set of functions, hooks and methods available to you that make it a really awesome platform to build on.

codex.bbpress.org

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar