Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Scheduling a Topic

• cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I always have a set number of new topics added to the forum on the first of the month. I would like to schedule them in advance. Or sometimes, I want to post a little like a “surprise” to the members, on a specific day. I read this forum and saw that some people can create a new topic in the WP editor as a “new topic” and schedule it.

Unfortunately, I don’t seem to be able to do it. If I set the schedule for the next month, it still appears in the forum now. I tried as logged in as an admin or logged out completely and the topic is still showing in the forum.

How is a post supposed to be scheduled? Maybe I am doing it wrong?
    Thanks.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hi,
    So you are publishing from the backend (/wp-admin) and set the publication date (the WordPress one) in e.g. 3 days and it appears immediately? For the test make sure to put some days in the future, not just hours.

If the post appears immediately then you have an issue with your Theme or another plugin that is not respecting the standard WordPress way of working. So you would have to switch to a standard theme and/or start deactivating plugins that could have an influence.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Thank you. It works now. I am not sure what I was doing different or wrong before, but now, it is ok.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

As I am delegating this task of scheduling topics, I noticed that it would be under my assistant’s name and not mine. I see a box on the right side with Author Information, but it only has an ID number and I am not sure where to get the ID number for each user we want to assign any forum post to.

Can someone point me to the right place?

What editor do you use? The Classic one or Gutenberg?

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

The Classic.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Just to add some complications, now, if I want to schedule a topic, I don’t have the box for Author’s information anymore. Even when I look at the screen options, that is not even an option. Strangely, older topics do show that box.

The only thing I remember doing since last time I scheduled a topic is that I added a captcha to the BuddyPress registration page (because I was getting hundreds of spam registrations). I cannot see that affecting the Author’s information display.

Any idea what might be happening?

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Not sure if it is due to updates, but I am trying to schedule some topics. I tried having them Open and scheduled, and I tried Pending and schedule, but they always still appear in the forum for anyone, even the non-logged in.

At this time (June 18, 2021), I have scheduled three posts. Although the content is not visible, the headline is.

Challenges

August Palette challenge – open and scheduled
    July Freebie challenge – open and scheduled
    June Tut/Tech challenge – pending and scheduled

I can still see those even as incognito, or on a different browser, not logged in.

Robin W

@robin-w

suspect it might be a another plugin that is adding these (possibly one of mine, but hopefully not!)

so the standard fault finding applies

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I followed your suggestion and disabled plugins (I did in groups as I could not disable everything at once). I could not find anything that would make those scheduled posts disappear from the list.

I installed the Health Check & Troubleshooting plugin (great tool by the way). Changing theme didn’t do anything. Enabling bbpress alone, it was still showing those scheduled posts. Nothing else (but the must-use plugins) was enabled.

And none of your plugins is associated with that either.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, scheduling works fine on my test site, so not sure what to suggest next.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Thanks.

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

I found the explanation. I was setting them to Sticky (because when they are live, they are typically sticky for a month) but I guess that overrides other settings.

So by setting them as Normal instead of Sticky, it works.

Robin W

@robin-w

wow – thanks for posting that solution – I s’pose something has to take precedence, if I get a moment I’ll look to see where this is selected

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar