Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Request: Backticks optional?

• Hansaplastique
    Participant

@hansaplastique

I really love bbPress and have been gratefully using it on my website.

No disrespect intended, and just a friendly request for consideration,…

Would it be possible to make the backtick functionality for posting optional?
    Ie. a setting in the config page saying something like “Use backticks for code posting”?

I’m running into situations where the actual content a user wants post should have backticks in it, without the filtering modifying it (for example shell related code examples).

Modifying the core files of bbPress is of course not a real option, just a temporary bandaid at best, and I know others have been looking into the backtick debacle as well (for example GhettoBSD).

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • I know many sites that are using bbPress for code are using the ‘Crayon Syntax Highlighter’ plugin. Have you had a look at this plugin? Will that do what you require?

Hansaplastique
    Participant

@hansaplastique

Thanks Stephen for the reply and suggestion.

I’ve looked at those yes and they work great except for code that has backticks in it πŸ™ … Some examples shell code that is being posted on my forum actually uses backticks in the code which makes it all a big mess … πŸ™

The current “fancy” editor doesn’t work well with code either, specially when switching back and forth between WYSIWYG and code.
    In this day and age I’d like to avoid that my visitors have to “code” their own HTML to get a message posted right.

What I’ve done so far:
    – create my own rich editor
    – disable backticks in bbPress

This works pretty good, but it most certainly is not perfect either.
    Obviously changing bbPress core files is a no-no from a maintenance perspective (hence my request).

While looking for a solution I noticed that I’m not the only one experiencing this back tick problem – frankly; the editor for bbPress needs some serious reconsideration … isn’t it time for a capable WYSIWYG editor?

No disrespect intended to the developers!!
    I really appreciate the enormous amount of work they have done, and I understand that my editor issues are maybe not the top priority.
    I really like bbPress as a forum for WordPress, and I consider it so far the best option out there.

I see where you are coming from, I just went and took a look around backticks in Crayon Syntax Highligher.

Tex uses backticks and appears to render fine based on this http://aksandbox.webege.com/?p=92, I also tried some MySQL with backticks and that also rendered correctly.

You can also add/create your own languages for Crayon:
    https://github.com/aramk/crayon-syntax-highlighter/blob/master/langs/readme.md

Some more background on the issues in the past can be read in these two tickets and this was one the main reasons backticks were implemented.
    https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2091 & https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2317

While looking for a solution I noticed that I’m not the only one experiencing this back tick problem – frankly; the editor for bbPress needs some serious reconsideration … isn’t it time for a capable WYSIWYG editor?

I also think we do need a better editor in bbPress, or more so a better editor in WordPress itself that we can use in the ‘front end’ of bbPress.

The install base and use of bbPress is quite large and varied and we try to make it work for all of these cases and is one of the reasons recommending to use plugins that work with bbPress to support your own use case.

Maybe we should have a wider discussion on the bbPress editor and the options available to us.

Hansaplastique
    Participant

@hansaplastique

Hi Stephen,

In my search for a “fix” I totally forgot about the popup “Crayon Syntax Highlighter” offers.
    I’ve been playing around with this for about a year now and ended up using “CodeColorer” as I was creating my own WYSIWYG editor. I think I’ll explore the Crayon option again.

As for the editor; I don’t know how to start such a wider discussion.
    I agree that ideally you’d like to use the editor that comes with WordPress, even if it’s just to stay more consistent (comments vs forum posts).
    How would one go about that?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar