Categories
Search
Bottom

Replying to topics shows blank page

• craftersuniversity
    Participant

@craftersuniversity

Hello

I just noticed a problem that i don’t know how old it is. I have not had much activity on my sites forum area, and no replies to any topics, so this problem might be as old as the forum itself.

When i try to make a reply to a topic, the reply get saved in the database, but i get a completely blank page. Even when i check the “page source” it too is completely empty. If i hit reload, another copy of the reply is entered into the database, but still a blank page. However, if i click the browsers address bar and hit enter, then i get the correct page, the updated forum thread. This is true both on my official site CraftersU.com, and its dev site.

I have tried both Chrome and Firefox, same thing. I’ve deactivated all plugins except BuddyPress and bbPress, same thing. Different themes, same thing. I even deleted and re-installed bbPress without getting rid of this problem…What could possibly be the cause of this?

Wordpress 3.8.1
    BuddyPress 1.8.1
    bbPress 2.5.3

You are of course welcome to register as a user in order to test this bug for yourself.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Well I got an error after submitting I got a HTTP 500 error page suggesting you have a programming error.

But the replies seemed to post, viz

http://craftersu.com/forums/topic/how-to-use-a-hammer/

craftersuniversity
    Participant

@craftersuniversity

What do you mean, programming error? I didn’t make the bbPress plugin… Since the problem is still there even without my childtheme, i couldn’t possible be at fault here.

craftersuniversity
    Participant

@craftersuniversity

The only change i have made to bbPress is in my child theme, but the problem is still there when my child theme isn’t activated, so it couldn’t possibly be the problem…

Robin W

@robin-w

Steady, wasn’t accusing you of doing anything wrong ! A programming error can occur in plugins, or as a result of a combination of plugins. “You have a programming error” is very different from “you created a programming error” ! That you have an error doesn’t mean you created it !

I still find that when I submit I get a http500 error, but the post has posted. If I click refresh it then works fine.

As you have tried this with all plugins except buddypress disabled, and you have tried it with just twenty-eleven, then I’d suggest you try without buddypress to eliminate that.

If you still have the problem, the suggest you delete and reload both bbpress and buddypress plugins in case they glitched when loading.

Robin W

@robin-w

Just had another thought. Since the error is occurring as part of the submit, it could be an issue with the database.

I’d suggest you run the repair functions for the forums

Dashboard>tools>forums

I’d run them all, BUT ONLY ONE AT A TIME! as they use a lot of resource

craftersuniversity
    Participant

@craftersuniversity

I never get any errors, just a blank page. But only if i reply to some other members forum thread, if i reply to a forum thread i have started, then this problem doesn’t appear…. Also i just noticed that my admin account receives notifications via mail, but not my moderator account…both are subscribed.

I tried deactivating all plugins except bbPress, but the site crashed completely, showing me empty gray pages. I then activated BuddyPress, and the website started working again, so BuddyPress must be activated for some reason. I also tried repairing the forum, and reinstalling entire bbPress, but still the problem remains. However, when i reinstalled BuddyPress, then it started working again. And for some reason BuddyPress latest version is working, the last time i tried to update, it broke my entire site….

At any rate, i think it is working now…

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, great to hear, and suspect you’ll never know why it didn’t – that’s computers for you !

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar