Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

reply threading not working

• eli_damon
    Participant

@eli_damon

On the Forums Settings page, I have checked the Reply Threading checkbox. However, my replies are still displayed in order of posting and without indenting. I would appreciate your help with this.

While we’re on the subject, why is the nesting depth limited to 10? Is there a way to get rid of the limit or at least increase it substantially? This limit would be quickly exceeded in any sustained discussion.

Thanks.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

so when you click the reply link under an already posted users reply what happens??

and 10 is a lot already do you really want more?? Your going to have to make some space for all these threaded replies and fix the awkwardness it will generate.

eli_damon
    Participant

@eli_damon

Thanks for responding.

When I click the “Reply” link, I get bounced to the text editor box at the bottom of the page. A new text editor box does not appear.

Is 10 levels a lot? That’s just 5 rounds with 2 participants. What if there’s a long conversation with many participants? Would it create a lot of awkwardness? I assumed that the page would simply expand horizontally. Maybe it’s not worth it for me to use threading after all until I can get a special style to accommodate it.

Robkk

@robkk

@eli_damon

alright when you get bounced to the normal reply form if you see a cancel link by the submit button thats when you know threaded replies is working.

just enter some content after your bounced from the reply link and hit submit the content should be under the post you hit the reply link.

the awkwardness im talking about is when the reply is on its 7th thread or more when you have a sidebar for bbPress, it makes the 7th on look squished.

Its best if you have full width for threaded replies.

other issue is when you are on about your 3rd thread or more of a reply on mobile devices , the replies content will look barely readable past that.

messing with this CSS and making the margin-left smaller for mobile device width would help out alot though. But making it look great on mobile would require some work.

#bbpress-forums ul.bbp-threaded-replies {
      margin-left: 50px;
    }

if you really want to have a 10> threads , get inspired by reddit.com and how they do it.

eli_damon
    Participant

@eli_damon

Nope, there’s no Cancel buttom. But based on your information, I think I will go without threading for the time being. Thanks.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

I am having problems with this as well.

When I click the reply button it does open a window under the comment, and it does have the cancle button.

However when you type the reply it puts it at the bottom of the thread.

Also, in the new reply window that opens under the comment, i’ve noticed that it stays above the reply box, “replying to: (it puts the title of the thread here, not the comment)” … not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks 😀

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Here is a screen shot which may help

http://gptxffa.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/reply-issue.jpg

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Robkk

@robkk

@gptxffa

Showing the comment your are replying to next to the reply to: text bbPress does not do that. That sounds like some custom development go to http://jobs.wordpress.net/ and post a job.

as for reply threading , i guess not threading??

see if its a theme or plugin issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

Then come back

Robkk

@robkk

@gptxffa

you can also create me a subscriber/participant account and send me the login details through email so that i can see the problem first hand.

Contact

also off topic , but upgrade your web browser to something like google chrome.

IE 8 is just horrible.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Ok I deactivated all plugins as well as switched to another theme,

There was no change. Replies still posted at the bottom of the thread

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

HAHA Yes, i wish i could, I am on a city network.

Ok i am sending info to you

Robkk

@robkk

ok i got the information from my contact form , and i will log into your site in a minute.

I dont know whats the issue with you not sending to my normal email though??

i just tested in this topic

http://gptxffa.com/wordpress/?topic=test-test-test-test&lang=en_US/

it did not pull the reply form under the reply i was replying to , it did lead to the bottom but the reply threading did work.

you said that it wasnt working well in a sticky topic?? it should work.

was this the sticky topic you were talking about??

http://gptxffa.com/wordpress/?topic=site-commentssuggestions&lang=en_US

that had the issues??

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Yes that sticky is the one with the problem.

Yes i noticed that now when i click the reply button it also pulls me down to the bottom reply box, but it does still work.

I will make the thread you have already been messing with a sticky to see what happens.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

Ok im not sure what changed ……. but for whatever reason it appears to be magically working now ????????

Thanks ????? LOL

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

So i was able to install mozilla on this computer and using it the reply feature worked properly.

I just opened the old IE that i cannot update on this network, and it did not work. I guess it has something to do with that browser.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

and now the whole things is going goofy….

I am still using firefox which worked a minute ago.

now when i try to “Reply” it puts the post at the bottom of the thread.

now when i do not “reply” and just try to post a new comment, it puts it above some of the older comments, not at the very botom

Robkk

@robkk

@gptxffa

will test out IE compatibility , really dont know what is the issue though with IE.

glad you are fixed as long as you dont use it

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

What i’ve noticed is that some of the post will work when you reply, but others do not, within the same thread

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

under “comments and suggestions” thread for example

post #206 replies work, but #208 – 210 – 211 wont work

Robkk

@robkk

ahhh there is the issue.

i replied to #208 and it didnt thread.

maybe because the reply was made before you switched to threaded replies , and thus not working??

will test this out on my test site.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

i think i figured it out.

Look at “testing topic for mergin feature” thread.

it seems to be a problem that happens if you merge two topics.

#208, 210, and 211 were all merged into the thread having problems, so i create two more threads and merged them to test, and the same problem happened.

All of the merged comments will not work with the reply feature, only the topics that are from the original thread will.

gptxffa
    Participant

@gptxffa

i also have found that any new post into the thread are posted above any older post that have been merged into that thread

Robkk

@robkk

@gptxffa

this might be a bug in bbPress then , i will create a trac ticket after im done verfiying that their is an issue.

phenocryst
    Participant

@phenocryst

Has this bug been addressed? I am searching for a solution to the same issue (threaded replies not working after merging topics) nearly two years later.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar