Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Reply not showing for users with Subscriber (whitelisted) account

• realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

We have 2 isolated instances of users being unable to reply to a forum topic when their permissions show that replies are enabled.

The topic shows on the users screen but the text box and submit buttons are not displayed.
    We have done extensive testing with test accounts and we cannot replicate the issue.

Any suggestions welcom

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

so do you have any first hand evidence, eg you have logged in as them and seen it? or is it just what they say?

I’m not suggesting it is not happening, or that they are lying, just trying to understand the issue.

and for them is it one topic – ie ‘I cannot reply on this topic, but I can on that topic’ or ‘I cannot reply to any topics’ or never for that user, or just ‘I tried it yesterday and it didn’t work but does today’?

realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

We have not been able to replicate the error so it appears to be only for this one topic, and only these users.

Users have provided us with screenshots showing that the text box to reply and submit button are not present.

This has happened for two separate users on different machines and they have tested other browsers, clear caches and in standard browser modes and incognito / private browsing modes.

A temporary solve was managed by changing their permissions from subscriber (whitelisted) to keymaster and they were able to reply to the thread. However in our testing we haven’t been able to establish the reason why these particular users were not able to reply as all test accounts were able to reply with subscriber (whitelisted) permissions.

We aren’t able to log in and test the end user accounts as they are public sector organisations using SSO.

realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

Screenshots as described above viewable here:
    image-5
    image-4
    image-3

Robin W

@robin-w

Thanks for that good info.

I have seen this once in a blue moon, but never got to the bottom of it.

Robin W

@robin-w

Like you, unless you can log in as them, it is hard to do analysis on this.

I have removed the personal details from your post above 🙂

realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

So we’ve done some digging around on the forum and found an instance where someone had the same issue? https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/participants-cant-create-topicspost-replies/
    and they then say: ‘Found it – buddypress was applying a filter, and it does some wonky logic. Overwrote it in my theme.’
    Would the you guys know what we could do to force override this to ensure all participants can reply to solve this?

Robin W

@robin-w

unfortunately that is another post where someone says ‘fixed it’ but does not share the fix.

if you are not using buddypress, where the user says the problem was, then this would not apply to you

If you are using buddypress, then it would be worth posting in the buddypress support forum

But in any case that was 10 years ago, and against a very old version of both bbpress and buddypress, it is unlikely that the problem is the same.

realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

Ok, so because we’ve not been able to replicate the issue with test accounts et al. We think that if we delete the end user’s account and then remake the account this will rectify the issue. As we’re aware that the user may already have content that they’ve created under their account we want to migrate that to a dummy account while we’re putting in place the deletion so we can then migrate it back to their “new” account and thus cause little to no disruption for them. We just wanted to check that if bbpress content is in this equation, that this content type does also get re-allocated like any other WP content types.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so I’d do the following as next steps

1. go into dashboard>replies and check that he has not got a reply stuck in say a pending state
    2. go into the user, edit and just click save
    3. go into dashboard>settings>permalinks and just click save, that just resets them
    4. go into dashboard>forums>repair forums and do then all but one at a time

I suspect that none of that will help, but it does eliminate from the problem

Robin W

@robin-w

as for your last question, if he can post against other topics, I’d tend to move the topic and replies to a new one, rather than all one users stuff, this would be simpler.

so

my first attempt would be to create a new topic (any admin user) and copy the topic postcontent across.

Then in dashboard>topics>edit topic change the author to the original one, and change the post date to the original one.

You will then have 2 topics with the same title.

Then get the user to check he can post against this new topic
    – if not then come back
    – if so, you can then create new replies, and copy across any existing replies, again using dashboard>replies to edit author and date. Once done, I would trash the original topic, but not permanently delete it. The topic and the old replies will remain against it but not be seen.

See how that all goes…

realityhousedev
    Participant

@realityhousedev

So,
    We actually have solved this issue now.
    It turns out that the affected Forum was set to only have Keymaster in “Ultimate Member” Permissions!
    So we’ve now rectified that and everything is working as it should do.

However the only discrepancy is that when we created test participant accounts that did not have the “Keymaster” permissions, we were able to reply, as could another end user account that had only “participant” permissions.

So in short, we’ve solved the issue but there appears to be a bit of strange grey area here where some users can still reply despite not having the permissions to.

Robin W

@robin-w

that seems to be an issue with ultimate member permissions, bbpress does not have that granularity in it. suggest you raise with ultimate member

Robin W

@robin-w

oh, and sorry I should have said thanks for posting what you found – so many don’t 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar