Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Replacing default BuddyPress Forum with bbPress

• Tim Wilson
    Participant

@wilsonts

I have set up a new WordPress blogging website with a BuddyPress members only community back end consisting of 10 groups.

Each group has it own separate bbPress forum. This all works OK except BuddyPress has its own forum which is bland and limited and bbPress is the “nice” functional forum which I want to use. Both these forums appear to be linked i.e a post to the bpPress forum also appears in the BuddyPress forum space although it seems that either can be independently deleted.

As it stands I find having the the two forums confusing and messy from a user perspective.

What I want to do is replace the BuddyPress forum with the bpPress forum so that you only see the bpPress forum on the home page of each group and do away with the group Forum tab which currently links to the bbPress forum. I don’t really need each group to do anything else rather than host the bpPress forum. Perhaps a single message on the group home page that a group moderator could change/edit would be a nice addition but it is not essential.

I have done a lot of Googling and while this problem has been mentioned a few times the solutions suggested seem very old and/or irrelevant.

I am comfortable with PHP etc but have very limited experience with BuddyPress and bpPress. Of course there may be a plugin which will do all this but I haven’t found one yet.

I am using WordPress 6.1.1. Buddy Press 11.1.0 bb_press 2.6.9, Theme Blocksy. The url of the website is https://PinkPantherActivists.au

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Tim,

I freely confess that I have had little to do with buddypress as I have never had the need of it.

But my understanding is that buddypress simply uses bbpress, so creation/deletion/edit in the buddypress area will also change if you access the forum directly. If you are not seeing this, then I might suspect caching software not updating.

so when you say

BuddyPress has its own forum which is bland and limited and bbPress is the “nice” functional forum

I’m not sure what you are seeing in one that is not in the other – can you give an example to help.

I haven;t checked, but have you also posted this in the buddypress support page ?

Tim Wilson
    Participant

@wilsonts

Hi Robin
    creation/deletion/edit is reflected in BuddyPress if I post something in the bbPress forum directly but it does not work the other way around.
    I added a plug in called BuddyPress Forum Editor which gave me WSIWYG editing on the bbPress forum but nothing on BuddyPress. BuddyPress is just enter/delete nothing else. bbPress has a title field, topic tags, topic type, topic status, notify by email box (important) and Attachment facility (important)

See screen images

BuddyPress forum image

bbPress Forum Image

I have posted this request for help in the BuddyPress support page but no response as yet.

Perhaps there is a plug in for BuddyPress that provides these things to the default BuddyPress forum but I haven’t been able to find one as yet.

Tim Wilson
    Participant

@wilsonts

I have made some progress (sort of) I purchased Miresa – WordPress Rich Text Editor plugin for BuddyPress and disabled bbPress. Unfortunately the Miresa Editor is not working properly but may only require some custom CSS to fix it. I have contacted the author egemenerd. We will see what transpires.

Plugin GD bbPress Attachments, suggested by some for attaching files to BuddyPress forums doesn’t work for me. I cant access the settings. It gives me an error message

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar