Categories
Search
Bottom

Removing "Post Count" duplicate text with bbp topic count plugin

• FlyFishersCorner
    Participant

@flyfisherscorner

Hello,

I’m currently running Robin’s plugin to display total posts by user. However, below each avatar I now have “Post Count:” and “Total Posts:”

I’ve messed around in the loop-single-forums file, but don’t want to break the plugin as I believe this is the file that Robin’s plugin calls to work correctly.

I’m sure it’s simple, but I just can’t figure it out / don’t want to mess something up.
    My forums can be viewed at http://flyfisherscorner.com/forums

Also, as a follow up: maybe a newbie question, but how can I make sure that the eventual changes won’t be lost on updates? Just put the altered file into a bbPress folder in my child theme, or do I need to create all the folders to give it the same “path” as the file has in the main wp-content folder?

In other words, if I put the edited file into my child theme, can I just stick it directly into a bbPress folder, or do I need to create folders in there to mimic the directory path (e.g. bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/loop-single-forum.php)?

Thanks a million!!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, on issue 1

Not sure what you are asking? You decide what to show in dashboard>settings>bbp topic count.

If that doesn’t answer, come back with a url to a specific page and exactly what you want removed.

on issue 2.

You just create a directory in your child theme called bbpress and any files you change in there

eg

wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%/bbpress/loop-single-forum.php

where
    %your-theme-name%

is the actual name of your theme !

FlyFishersCorner
    Participant

@flyfisherscorner

Thanks for the reply!

The duplicate text I’m talking about that I want to remove is the bbpress default post count text (which counts posts in a specific topic). I only want it to show the text from bbp topic count.

An example can be seen at: http://flyfisherscorner.com/topic/lets-get-the-conversation-going-where-are-you-from/

I want to remove the “Post Count: 1” generated by default and keep the “Total Posts: #”

Thanks again!

Robin W

@robin-w

dashboard>settings>bbp topic count and remove the display check from ‘add this item to the display’ !

FlyFishersCorner
    Participant

@flyfisherscorner

It’s not coming from the bbp topic count plugin. It was there before I added it.

The only thing coming from the plugin is the thing I want to keep.

Just to be perfectly clear: on the link I gave, under each user’s avatar in each post, there are two post counts listed. I want the one from bbp topic count (the bottom one, “Total Posts” which counts all of a user’s posts) to stay. I want to remove the top one (“Post Count), the one which only counts the posts in a particular topic.

Robin W

@robin-w

As far as I can guess, it looks like that is coming from

bbps-user-ranking plugin

do you have that installed?

FlyFishersCorner
    Participant

@flyfisherscorner

:-/

Don’t have that one installed. I also tried disabling several other plugins that I thought could possibly be causing this and wasn’t able to find any that made a difference (clearing caches and such all along the way as well). My initial suspicion was one called “Ultimate Posts Widget” that I had been using with a previous theme to control how my blog page displayed, but alas, no dice.

Robin W

@robin-w

its showing with a class of bbps-post-count

<div class=”bbps-post-count”>Post count: 1</div>

Could be your theme adding ?

Robin W

@robin-w

you could put the following at the bottom of your style.css

.bbps-post-count {
    display: none !important;
    }

That should hide it.

Functions files and child themes – explained !

FlyFishersCorner
    Participant

@flyfisherscorner

I’ve looked all through the theme and been unable to find it, but they do advertise it as being bb Press ready, so it may be something on the back end I can’t see.

The CSS is brilliant though! I don’t know why I didn’t think to try that! (Though I suppose I wouldn’t have known what the function causing it to display is without you identifying it).

I’ve already got custom CSS to get the forums to inherit my background color, so 3 little lines of code added there took care of my issue!

Thanks so much for the help and for bearing with me!

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem, – glad you’re fixed !

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar