Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Registry List – Expandable – Self entered

• loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

I need to create a “name registry” in WordPress (either Gutenberg or Elementor Pro) that will allow users to input their own information and create a new “name registry” listing. Trying bbpress.

The

alphabetical

listing of names should be presented and when a name is clicked, the supporting information is displayed.

Albert
    Andrew
    Agnes
    Charles
    Charles
    David

There will be lots of duplicate names, but usually, the date, country, or some other info is different.

Supporting information example (when “Andrew” is clicked) is Date of entry, email, info:

Andrew Loftus – 1818
    Australia

Do you have any knowledge of Andrew Loftus (Coachman) who was transported to Australia in 1818 after a trial in Co Mayo. He lived in Ballina but his wife Elizabeth Murphy, later lived in Crossmalina.

Peter Kenny
    Sydney, Australia
    pk@somehost.com

I have looked at forum plugins, directories, posts and cannot find a way to do this in WP. Most times the entry field descriptive text cannot be modified. Currently using the bbpress plugin but don’t see how I can modify the field text to ask users specific questions. I initially did it in html using a doku. But I want to covert this to WP and add the self-entered capability.

Any suggestions or pointers? Is bbPress a viable route for this?

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, presume you have bbpress enabled ?

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

Robin W

@robin-w

and are you using Jetpack?

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

Hi and thanks once again for your response.

I do not use JetPak .. use WordFence and Akismet.

I tried the Twentytwenty theme … does not rectify the problem (just produces weird spacing and color schemes).

I tried the plugin testing – alas no joy. The problem did not correct when they were all (except bbpress) deactivated.

I’ll try the “HealthCheck & Troubleshooting” plugin you listed. Stay tuned.

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

I noticed a difference between going to the URL direct from a browser or going to the site from within the WP Admin panel:

What I get when clicking the “Forums” or “Registry” menu items using a browser to directly access the site “https://test.loftusweb.com” –

Forums Search

What I get when clicking the “Forums” or “Registry” menu item from within the WP Admin for test.loftusweb.com:

Correct Forum and topics

My mind has officially turned to mush …

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

Above should read:

I noticed a difference between going to the URL direct from a browser or going to the site from within the WP Admin panel:

What I get when clicking the “Forums” or “Registry” menu items using a browser to directly access the site https://test.loftusweb.com

Forums Search

What I get when clicking the “Forums” or “Registry” menu item from within the WP Admin for test.loftusweb.com

Correct Forum and topics

My mind has officially turned to mush …

Robin W

@robin-w

ok those both just go to the site when I click them, so not sure what you are trying to say.

Robin W

@robin-w

Can I suggest you start by going to :

dashboard>settings>permalinks and click save, this resets the permalinks

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

Reset permalinks

I think part of the problem is a multi-shared-incorrect-database array on the server. I’ve asked server admin to investigate. Somehow the database(s) for test.loftusweb.com / loftorg.com / loftusweb.com is incorrectly accessing the wrong domanin/sub-domain.

I’ve deleted everything in loftorg.com and will start over with it once the database issue is resolved for test.loftusweb.com. Then, we will only have one domain (test.loftusweb.com) to troubleshoot.

I’ll update this when server admin gets done.

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

To simplify I’ve deleted the domain “loftorg.com” as well as all extraneous databases and database users. Now, we can focus on https://test.loftusweb.com.

Go to the top right of the home page. (Loftus Family Homepage/Forums/Registry). Click Forums or Registry. Both should be populated with numerous topics, not blank. The issue is that “Forums” and “Registry” keep losing their data (topics) when addressed from the web. When I load the site from within the WP Admin area, it is populated with the topics.

Robin W

@robin-w

contact me via

Contact me

with a link to this topic, and I’ll try and help further

loftus49
    Participant

@loftus49

Robin is either a saint or a wizard – maybe both. He found the latest problem as the forums being marked as “Private” rather than “Public”. I changed it per his instruction and it now works.

Consider this thread SOLVED and closed.

Thanks Robin.

Robin W

@robin-w

Glad to have helped 🙂

Viewing 12 replies - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar