Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Quotes and other characters get converted to html entities in the title

• JakubMarian
    Participant

@jakubmarian

When someone posts a new topic containing characters like ” or ‘, they are converted to &something;. However, I use smart quotes (the wptexturize filter) on the rest of the website and this makes the typography inconsistent (because the html entity for ” doesn’t get converted to curly quotes).

I suppose this is a bug, or at least I don’t see any reason why a topic title should be treated differently than the rest (the topic content is displayed as it should). I also guess that all that is needed to solve this is commenting out just one line somewhere. Unfortunately, I don’t know what the search for. Any hints?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I just tried this and it works for me from both the front and back end.

JakubMarian
    Participant

@jakubmarian

Have you created the topic using the form that’s part of the forum, or using the administration panel? If I use the administration panel, everything is saved as it should; however, when I use the submit form in the forum, characters get converted to HTML entities.

I tested it using a clean installation of the latest version of WordPress with the default theme where the only plugin installed was bbPress, with exactly the result I have described above.

Yes, that was what I inferred by ‘back end’ & ‘front end’ that I tried it from both places that we can create topics, the front end and the back end.

The one thing I did do, that I have just tested against was I had copied and pasted the the ‘content’ from the back end to create the topic in the front end.

I just manually typed the following into the ‘front end’ for single quote ', double quote " and

`

tilde symbols.

I am also using a clean install and the Twenty Thirteen theme so like yourself I am a little perplexed as to why we are seeing something different.

atonyk
    Participant

@atonyk

I have the same problem. Double quotes are converted into " and saved in the DB in this way.

If, for example, I create a post using the WordPress admin panel,
    its columns ‘post_content’ and ‘post_title’ in the table ‘wp_posts’ are saved like this:
    "Post title" and "Post content"

If I create a topic on a BBPress topic page, its data saved in the DB like this:
    "Topic title" and "Topic content"

So the issue mentioned by @jakubmarian is not resolved yet 🙁

How can we please resolve it?

atonyk
    Participant

@atonyk

I tried the BBPress 2.6 beta-2 version. And the problem is fixed there! 🙂 I’m very much looking forward to the release. 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar