Let me help get this going by adding what I know from building the bbPress Topics for Posts plugin:
1) Yes, it works perfectly even without BuddyPress.
2) Having a post on one site and the forum on another will probably NOT work. Forums and topics are considered posts themselves, and those are per-blog. Anything is possible, but that would be messy.
5) This isn’t too hard, but takes a little trickery with the
bbp_has_replies_query filter. It’s a feature of the plugin if you want to take a look to see how it’s done.
That’s a pretty neat plugin you built there.
is there a way to transfer a standard wp blog to this? … iow, turn previous blog comments and comments threads into replies and a topic thread?
11 years, 8 months ago
With the very exciting new “forum shortcode as comments” feature currently being tested on testbp.org, quite a few questions come to mind. Seeing as the test site isn’t really meant for real conversations, I’ll ask my questions here.
(1) For starters, I’m assuming this will also work without BuddyPress in the mix?
(2) What if I’m running a multisite, separating content into two or more blogs?
example.com – main blog and forum.
devblog.example.com – secondary blog, no forum.
So in the instance that I make a post on devblog.example.com that I’d like to attach a forum thread to, would that be possible?
(3) Has this been tested with different post formats?
(4) Also, the idea of multiple posts pointing to the same forum topic is very cool, but what about the other way around?
Say I write a post about an already addressed topic (there is an existing thread about it) but I would like to open a new thread of discussion for some fresh opinions. Being able to point to multiple threads would be very handy. Maybe there’d have to be one main topic, but others could be added as links, pretty much like a pingback.
(5) Showing the first post in the forum thread in the blog post, especially in your example, seems counter-intuitive to me. Have you considered (tried) working around that?