Categories
Search
Bottom

Problem with permalinks after bbpress-update to 2.54

• Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Hi,

today I have made the update to version 2.54. Now it works no longer correctly with permalinks (instead of the topic-title, now the ID will be used). The settings in WordPress are unchanged: title in the permalink. In wordpress-posts the permalinks works well as always. The problem is only in bbpress.

And one more thing:
    Until the update it was always automatically included as the reply-title:
    “Reply to: … (post title) …”.

Now, the field for the title in a reply to a post is always empty!
    What’s going on? Until yesterday (before the update) everything was ok.
    Please, give me your help.

Thank you very much says
    Morgensonne

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

not sure what is happening, but try resetting the permalinks

Dashboard>settings>permalinks and just click save changes.

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Thank you, Robin, for your feedback!!

I did that first. Surely 3 times. It remains as it is: The title is missing (reply to …………) and the permalink does not take the title, but the ID. Probably because there is no title! The field is empty.

I have just tested the following:

1) new WordPress posts: permalink is as it should be.
    2) new post in the bbpress forum written in the admin area: permalink is as it should be.
    3) new post in bbpress forum written in the forum area: permalink is as it should be.
    4) reply to topic written in the forum area: permalink is incorrect (ID) and title is missing (field is empty)

The problem therefore only occurs when replies are written in the forum area!!

I’m getting quite desperate. I have no idea what I should do. 🙁
    In the older forum replies all is correct and now suddenly it no longer works.

One more thing, please:
    How does the option works in the bbpress-admin:”Create new answer”?
    I can not set anywhere, on which post I want to write a reply…. (?)

Thanks for the help!
    Morgensonne

Robin W

@robin-w

OK, it may be a plugin conflict – ie 2.5.4 isn’t playing with one of your plugins.

Try

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Hi Robin,

I’ve done everything. Neither a plugin yet the theme makes the problem. I have ALL plugins turned off and tested the Twenty Ten and Twenty Fourteen themes. It is up to bbpress! The real problem why the permalinks contained the ID is, that the title bar of replies is empty. Because there is no title, the ID is taken to the permalink.

BUT so far everything worked fine! The title was always automatically set for each reply.
    So there must be something happened during the update.

I can try to reinstall bbpress. BUT: What happens if I uninstall bbpress???
    Is everything in the forum lost?

Morgensonne

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Okay, I have a bit more knowledge about the problem.

I’ve been using a lot of time now and went back to my first working bbpress version and have then sequentially tested the following versions.

Result: everything works correctly up to version 2.41!

The title for the replies are there and consequently the permalink is correct, too. From version 2.51 the problem is back! Version 2.50 I could not test because the download link to version 2.5, unfortunately, contains the version 2.54. But I guess that the problem starts with 2.50.

All versions tested in the same configuration (plugins and theme).

Something suspicious: In versions that work correctly in the reply list (admin area) is in the field for the title: (no title). In the versions that have the error: in the reply list (admin area) in the field for the title is always the right title, but not in the post itself, there the line is empty. (Only posts that were written with a faulty version!! The others (up to version 2.41) are fine.)
    Very strange.

So now I have version 2.41 back in action and everything running smoothly again.
    Am I the only one who has this error?

Then I would stick to version 2.41 for all time ….(???)

Morgensonne

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Is there any nice guy who likes to help me?
    I can use bbpress only up to version 2.41 ………..
    Please, give me a response. I do not know what to do now, I’m helpless ………

Robin…. are you still there ??? 🙁

Thank you says
    Morgensonne

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m here, but this is beyond my technical knowledge – I was hoping that Stephen would pick this up, but he hasn’t – he may be away, or think that I have it under control 🙂

Ok, so with no other plugins and 2.54 you have this problem??

I have 2.54 with twentyten and no issues, permalinks are topic title.

So must be peculiar to your site – so something needs setting/resetting, and obviously permalinks aren’t the answer as they’re working with wordpress. So bbpress is not playing nicely.

How much of a test area do you have that you can try stuff in?

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Robin, thank you very much for your feedback, so it does not feel so alone. 🙁

I have two test areas at two different hosters. Both WP and bbpress is installed and runs identically with the same theme and – at the moment – without other plugins. BOTH give only up to version 2.41 the reply-title automatically in the title bar. I have deinstalled and installed several times versions after 2.50. My hope was that the problem only occurs with one of the two webservers and so I could find a trace, but the problem is in both installations.

All versions after 2.41 (without plugins and with WP standard theme) have this issue.

It would be great if Stephen would stop by. He would certainly have an idea on what I could still keep trying.

Thanks again for your feedback!!

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Hi Robin,

it seems that Stephen had no idea about this.
    In the meantime I have heard by John James, that this is not a bug. It would be correct. Replies only ever had titles because WordPress forced all posts to have them until 3.7. I’m confused about that, because at bbpress 2:41 I have reply-titles with WordPress 3.9.

And you had written that your reply-titles are still there and also in the permalink (bbpress 2:54 and twentyten-theme). So I want to ask you to have a second look on it: is it really the REPLY-title in the permalink? Topic-titles I also have in the permalinks, only the replies have no title and the permalink shows only the ID.

My permalinks should contain the post NAME (not the ID) like this:

mytestblog.de/blog/foren/reply/reply-to-this-is-a-test/

bbpress 2.41 does exactly in this way!
    Now – with bbpress 2.5x – the permalink is like this:

mytestblog.de/blog/foren/reply/140/

140 is the ID of the topic reply.
    I would like to have it again that way as it runs under bbpress version 2.41. 🙁

Why do I want this?
    1. permalink without reply-title, but only with reply-ID is not good for search engines.
    2. if I open a reply-post in the admin area, there is no title “reply to: …. (topic title) …” (the title bar is empty) and I do not know to which post this reply refers. This is not good for handling the forum in practice.

Robin, would you be so kind to look again to see if it really is th REPLY-title, which you have in your permalink? I can also take a screenshot to illustrate where my problem is.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Morgensonne

Robin W

@robin-w

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Thank you!
    OK, this ist the TOPIC-permalink. This works for me, too.

How is it with the REPLY-permalink?

Example:
    http://www.mysite.com/forums/REPLY/reply-to-equipment-for-sale-devon/

In the Admin Area, there are on the left side “Forums”, “Topics”, “Replies” (I am not sure as it is called in the english version, I use the german version). If you go into the replies and open a reply, then you see at the top the reply-permalink. Either with the reply-title or the ID.

The TOPIC-title is no problem for me, too. But the REPLY-title.
    I’m doing a couple of screenshots.

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Did you get my screenshots, Robin?

Robin W

@robin-w

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

And my replies come as

http://www.mytestblog.de/blog/foren/reply/140/

Since version 2.5x…….. What’s going on?
    Why is in your reply URL “topic” and not “reply”?

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

replies come as
    http://www.mysite.com/forums/topic/equipment_for_sale_devon/#post-14239

Is this the view of the permalinks in the admin area of the bbpress-replies section?

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

replies come as

http://www.mysite.com/forums/topic/equipment_for_sale_devon/#post-14239

Okay, I just found out: this is the link from the forum view. This is for me the same way. That’s not the problem. Problem is that the reply-title is no longer inserted automatically. In the admin area!! The field for the title is empty since version 2.5.x.

Please open in your bbpress admin area a reply and look if there is a title inserted (with the prefix “reply to:”) or whether the field for the title is empty like it is in my bbpress admin area.

You can see what I mean in my screenshots.

Robin W

@robin-w

@morgensonne ok I have your screenshots.

I am running training courses all weekend so will come back on Monday hopefully !

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Thank you, Robin, for your interim message!

I think we have always spoken of two different things: you about the forum view and I have spoken about the admin area (dashboard). Maybe you have also the possibility to compare the behavior of Version 2.41 and 2.54 according to my screenshots.

I wish you much success and pleasure in your weekend courses and am looking forward to Monday 🙂

Morgensonne

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok I’ve looked at the screen shots, basically you sent through one of the backend which showed

1. ‘no title’ against the replies in Dashboard>replies.
    2. a shortened permalink eg http://www.mysite.com/forums/reply/13691/ and in the title box ‘enter title here’ in grey for an entry under 2.5.4
    3. a long permalink eg http://www.mysite.com/forums/reply/items-for-sale where the reply was headed reply to: ‘items for sale’

(this to help anyone else looking at this topic!)

In testing I get the same 2 & 3, so yes the way permalinks are storing for replies has changed.

I get no problems however with the dashboard display.

Robin W

@robin-w

Sorry – saved a bit early.. to continue…

so apart from your dashboard display, I can see what you see.

Does your dashboard issue disappear with twentyten (which is what I am testing with) ?

And now since I can see what you see, what would you like to happen ?

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

I have tested with twentyten-theme and twentyfourteen and without any plugins. The behavior is unchanged, if I use bbpress 2.5x.

What would I like to happen?
    I would like that bbpress is running like under version 2.41.
    That is:
    1. In the dashboard -> replies, the title is automatically written to the title box with the prefix “reply to: .. (topic title) ..”
    2. This in turn causes that the permalinks include not only the ID, but – like it is defined in the WP settings – again the full title of the posts.

Why? As I had written:
    1. Permalinks only with ID are not good for search engines.
    2. The handling of the replies in the admin area (dashboard) is not good. If you have opened a reply, then you can no longer see at what post it belongs, because the title box is empty. How do you personally deal with that?

Do you have the ability to install bbpress version 2.41 in your test area? Then you can watch live, how version 2.41 works and what you see in the dashboard –> replies. (= title is there and permalink with title)

This is, what I want to have back!
    Do you know a way to implement this again with version 2.54?

Morgensonne

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, suspect that since bbPress authors have change how this works, then that is how the authors want it to work.

But I’ll take a look when I get a moment !

Morgensonne
    Participant

@morgensonne

Ok, suspect that since bbPress authors have change how this works, then that is how the authors want it to work.

That would be very, very sad. Before, it was much better.

But I’ll take a look when I get a moment !

Yes, of course, I thank you very much!!

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, I’ve spent some time this morning looking around, and a solution is well beyond my current knowledge – sorry 🙁

Apologies, I’ve only just seen this now, I’ll have another read of this after I have had a coffee or two later this morning.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar