Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Printing threads (WP 3.8.1, bbPress 3.5.2)

• WP_Dave
    Participant

@wp_dave

Wondering what others do about printing threads. I’m fine just reading the screen, but others might want hardcopy. Is there a way to print the thread easily? I’ve looked at the Print Friendly Plugin, but it’s not integrated with forum software like bbPress so I’ve been told. I could recommend a Print Preview of the forum thread, but thought there would be something akin to the plugin I mentioned which works great on pages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I can’t say that it has ever occurred to me that people might want to print whole threads !

Normally they (or at least I do) just copy/paste bits they need

I just tried a couple including print friendly, and neither worked !

Don’t se any quick or easy way to do this.

WP_Dave
    Participant

@wp_dave

Thanks Robin. Thought I’d ask anyway.

>> I can’t say that it has ever occurred to me that people might want to print whole threads ! <<
    Yes, part of the prompt/topic has static information which is why they want to print. It’s, also, an accessibility issue since some folks prefer hardcopy over screen reading. Maybe, more of a preference or style of reading than accessibility problem. Would be nice some day to have audio playback of text too, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

Stephen Edgar

@netweb

To achieve this you would just make an alternate CSS stylesheet based of the main bbPress stylesheet and enqueue it as part of your theme.

You’d simply use display: none for the bits you don’t need.

<link rel="stylesheet" id="bbpress-print-css" href="http://example.com/bbpress-print-css.css" type="text/css" media="print">

WP_Dave
    Participant

@wp_dave

Thanks Stephen.

I’ll see if that makes sense. May have more questions later…

Appreciate the help.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.