Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Prevent Users From Creating Topics

• Hey there,

I want to prevent users from creating new topics on my forum. I have everything synced with my WP installation, so new topics are created automatically with every new post.

I guess I just want to remove the links from the forum template/theme to create new topics…is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best Regards,

Adam

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • actually I guess there is probably more to it than just removing the link…oh well if anyone has any ideas let me know :)

This plugin should do just that!

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/read-only-forums/

looks promising but says it’s only compatible up to version 0.9 and I have 1.0. :/

Maybe I’ll try it out anyway

yeah it doesn’t work. :( oh well

all I want to do is prevent all users from starting topics on all forums, but still allow all new posts to from my blog to be imported via bb-sync and allow people to reply to them.

If you found out how to do this ….I’d love to know the answer. I’m trying to set up a penny stock board but having mostly new topics will not work.

On this forum were on now…you go to a topic and it has a reply box at the bottom. On my board when you click on a topic it shows a box to start a new topic? I tried playing around with the sub categories but then replies can’t be added ro posts there…I don’t know the answer. pennyforums.com

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

What you can do, is edit forum.php of your theme files and edit out

<?php post_form(); ?>

it’s at the very end, just before the call for the footer. This will display only the topics.

You also edit, in both forum.php and front-page.php

<th><?php _e('Topic'); ?> — <?php bb_new_topic_link(); ?></th>

to become

<th><?php _e('Topic'); ?></th>

This should do it.

thank you

I did this (with shaky nervous fingers) and taa daa!!! it worked. They can still click on “hot tags” and create a new topic but that’s okay…they don’t see it EVERT time now. Thanks again….

buddha-trance

@buddha-trance

@mrsparex – I see, there was one more! :-)

You can edit tag-single.php the same way as before, on these lines:

<th><?php _e('Topic'); ?> — <?php bb_new_topic_link(); ?></th>

<?php post_form(); ?>

thank you bro

Ben L.

@nightgunner5

You could always use Role Manager and disable “Make new topics” for Members.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

I somehow managed to download the Read only forums plugin. Forgot how/where.

You can grab it from my server: http://www.inniosoft.co.cc/bbpress/plugins/read-only-forums.zip

The only thing I found was that it didn’t remove the header (“New Topic in this Forum”) for read only forums. Oh well – it still works, which is grand.

:)

Hey Guys,

I am using the latest version of bbpress and I want to stop users to create topics.

Leezig
    Participant

@leezig

This seems to do the trick…

Bbpress Protected Forums

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar