Categories
Search
Bottom

Prefix Recommendation

• DealL
    Participant

@deall

Hello!

I am installing fresh bbPress forums and I am stuck with the following recommendation.

Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)

I could not find a reason to why is this recommended. What happens if I do not use the prefix? I would like to keep the URLs shorter but I do not know the consequences of avoiding that prefix.

Kindly help me understand this recommendation.

Thank you

slug

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• DealL
    Participant

@deall

Hi!

I tried to search and found a few old topics with the same question but found no answer.

Please help

Robin W

@robin-w

not sure there is an answer !

@netweb
    – do you know why?

DealL
    Participant

@deall

Thank you for the reply @robin-w So, I assume that there really isn’t a known answer and that the prefix shouldn’t really matter. I am proceeding with installation now ignoring that recommendation.

I would like to suggest for a future update that either the word ‘recommended’ should be removed from there or an additional line should be added explaining why is that recommended.

Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

I would like to suggest for a future update that either the word ‘recommended’ should be removed from there or an additional line should be added explaining why is that recommended.

agree it would be good to know !

yikesitskevin
    Participant

@yikesitskevin

Hi @deall & @robin-w,

I found this topic by googling around because I am having an issue and I think my issue is the reason this Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended) option is recommended. If you don’t prefix, you can run into URL conflict issues. For example, if your forum is on your homepage, and there is no prefix, your pagination links will be something like www.{your_site_url}.com/page/2. The problem is www.{your_site_url}.com/page may be one of your pages. Obviously you could also have a page named ‘forums’, but it’s much less likely.

Does this explanation sound correct?

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey – thanks for posting that, and yes that makes great sense – I’ve noted it for future !

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar