Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

plugin idea: wiki post (group editable post)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

You know how some forums have a post at or near the top of each thread that can be edited by any member to share collective info?

What do you think would be the best approach to implimenting that in bbpress?

Maybe create a new post in the topic id and push the other post id’s down and affect the timestamp so bbpress shows it on top?

Or should it be a seperate table that is inserted with the topic summary at the top of each page?

The tricky part is getting it to display and be editable by all users.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • If you have to add it to the topic, messing with the post order could get ugly. Probably easier to just leave it as an option when creating the topic. You can then add an entry to topicmeta, and use a hook to check if the topic being called is such a wikitopic and add to the roles available to the current user (giving him the edit_topic or rather edit_post capability). That should let him and therefore anyone edit it.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Yes but how would i use the editing edit post template without having to recreate a post editor, etc.

Oh wait, you mean to create it as the 2nd message when a new topic is created. Old topics would not be able to have a wiki post.

Hmm.

If only bbpress actually obeyed post_position, there would be so many nice tricks that would be so easy to do. Argh.

But you’ve already got all the data you need right there in the date created. Post_position just makes things more awkward to move and is just not normal form. At least I’ve never seen an advantage to it, what are you thinking of?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Ah I have another idea that would allow it to use the regular post editor and all it’s features/hooks.

bbpress won’t display any post normally that doesn’t have a status of 0. “1” is deleted. But something like 9 could be the wikipost for the topic. That way even older topics could get a wikipost. All we have to do is check for a post status of 9 with the topic id and if so, display it after the topic summary on top. Hook it to show an edit button that works for any subscriber (or maybe a level setting so only mods, etc can edit it) and of course a button within the topic summary to start a wikipost if there is no post with a status of “9”.

Too exhausted to start on this project this week but will look at it next. If anyone wants to have a go at it, please do.

nice idea

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Well this and the karma reputation plugin are two on the top of my list. Going through a bit of burn out so I might give them a go next month.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar