Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin Disappeared on WordPress Dashboard

• EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Hello,
    I moved my site to a new server a couple of months back. My forum and all functionality is still present. However, in my WordPress dashboard the plugin “Forum” tab is missing for me to make any adjustments to my settings. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling BBPress and the issue persists. Any idea how I can get BBPress back in my WordPress Dashboard? Thanks.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Forums are set using

Dashboard>settings>forums

Is this what is missing?

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Yes, the area on my wordpress dashboard for bbpress labeled as “forum” is no longer there. My forum is still there and functioning on my main page.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, It could be a theme or plugin issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

I tried both suggestions with no resolution. When I deactivated all plugins except bbpress I did not see it in the menu. I switched my theme to 2012 and it didn’t come up either.

Again, this problem began when my site was moved from my old server to a new one. Not sure if that would give you any other ideas.

Robin W

@robin-w

So which of any of the following is showing in the dashboard?

Forums
    Topics
    Replies
    Settings>forums

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

None of those show unfortunately. I had forgotten what was supposed to be in the menu at this point!

SergioDev
    Participant

@zejio

Hi!

I have the same problem, but in my case is the first time I installed the plugin on my site.

The item “forums” on the dashboard lateral menu and “settings-> forums” dont show. (The plugin is installed and activated.)

Robin W

@robin-w

@zejio – you have the same symptoms, but probably not the same problem, – but have you tried checking the plugins and themes as above?

@evolveworkforce
    – Sorry but can you absolutely confirm that :

1. The plugin is activated
    2. with JUST bbpress plugin and 2012 theme you are not seeing ANY of the following
    Forums
    Topics
    Replies
    Settings>forums

Thanks

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Correct. With 2012 activated and only bbpress plugin active I do not see Forums, Topics, Replies, or Settings>forums. Double checked all for you.

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm… Don’t really know what to suggest next.

Robin W

@robin-w

Just had a thought, what bbpress level is the username you are using

so you could be a wordpress admin, but if you are a bbpress participant, then you wouldn’t see anything.

So go into dashboard>users and edit your username and see what level the bbpress role is set to

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Awesome!!! That is definitely the issue. I’ll have to have the person with key master status update my profile. Thank you so much for your help!!!!!

Robin W

@robin-w

No problem – glad we got there in the end !

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

So I’ve been able to get Topics and Replies to re-appear. But I still can’t see Forums or Settings>Forums. Any idea on This? Could this still be a user settings issue?

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Okay, so the person I thought had Keymaster access either had it disappear or never had it. I am now unable to designate a keymaster. The closest forum topic I found on this was this thread:

The Keymaster

The Keymaster option does not appear in the dropdown for any user assignment settings. There is not a way for me to access BBPress settings to assign everyone to the Keymaster role. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling bbpress and the issue persisted.

How can I assign Keymaster when nobody has Keymaster status? Is there a way for me to edit a user file on my server? Thanks.

Robin W

@robin-w

There are two sets of roles wordpress and bbpress

It is a wordpress admin that can set bbpress roles, under Dashboard>settings>users and see if forum roles appear near the bottom of an existing user

If not come back and if you have database access I can tell you how to set an admin that can then set a bbpress keymaster.

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

I have access as WP Admin and unfortunately the Keymaster role is nowhere to be found. I have database access. I can definitely manually make whatever changes are necessary. Thanks.

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Hi, I was just following back up to see if you had info on how I could edit my server files to add key master to a user? It’s still not there and I can’t find a way to add it on the WordPress dashboard. Thanks.

Robin W

@robin-w

Sorry missd your follow up mail

Can you not set keymaster by

Dasboard>users>all usres and edit the one and put in te keymaster role

Come back if not

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Yes, as stated the Keymaster role is not there. Nobody has it and there is absolutely no way to assign it through the dashboard. I assure you it absolutely is not there! Could I please get some info on how to edit my server file? Hoping to get this resolved over the weekend. Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

To change it in the database, you need to

find out the id of the user – you can look that up in the ‘users’ table – probably called ‘wp_users’, just look for a line with the username in, and the user_id will be in the ID column.

Then in the usermeta table sort by user_id, and look for your user, then the entry called

wp_capabilities

For a keymaster and admin it needs to say

a:2:{s:13:"administrator";s:1:"1";s:13:"bbp_keymaster";b:1;}

so FIRST copy what is already in there and save it to notepad or somewhere safe – you’ll want to be able to change it back if it doesn’t work and locks you out !!

Then edit and put the above in.

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Thanks I appreciate your help. Don’t worry I consistently backup my site through FileZilla. This seems to be a simple fix.

EvolveWorkforce
    Participant

@evolveworkforce

Hmm yes database editing may be too hard to me since I don’t have experience. After researching I did get close to what you are suggesting in MySQL but I think it may be a bit over my head.

That said, I’m thinking it may be easiest if I completely deleted the plugin files from my server. Then I could re-install bbpress. I’d need to know what backed up files I need to add back to the plugin once it’s re-installed in order to get all of my threads, posts, and users back.

Do you know what files that would be or how I could do that? Sorry this seems to be the never-ending support ticket!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, the software is held in files, the content (forums, topics etc) is held in the database.

Please read

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

for a long explanation of how wordpress is structured.

I believe you issue is as simple as that the level of user that you are does not permit you to se the ‘backend’ – that is the forum stuff in the dashboard – so deleting and recreating the plugin will not help you.

The answer I think is to go into phpmyadmin, and edit your entry to give yourself permission as per previous answer.

The link above should give you sufficient to be able to find your entry and edit it.

SergioDev
    Participant

@zejio

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in responding …

I tried to disable all plugins except bbPress and I already see “forums” in dashboard! After I returned to reactivate all the plugins one by one and now if I see “forums” with the same plugins activated before!

Thank you very much!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar