Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

PLEASE HELP!

• Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Okay, I’m officially freaking out now. After hearing about it quite a bit, I finally learned how to create a child theme. I did so, and I began adding css related to bbpress with “!important” to change things. After changing a few things, I realized the text color wasn’t going to work, so I went into my theme options, and there is a way to change colors without having to go into code. Luckily, there is a default button, so I can just press that to go back to default. Basically, I changed each one and then refreshed the forum to see if that was it. I finally found it, but I didn’t like what it did to the rest of the site, so I went back to default. Now nothing is changing on the forum, even though everything else is going back to normal in the theme.

So I then started deleting the changes I made in my child theme .css, and it isn’t changing anything. I even went as far as to go back to my parent theme. This made the forum disappear, so I deactivated it and re-activated it. Well, now it is right back to the one after it was changed. How could it still be changed? I tried deleting it and re installing it, but it still won’t change. How could this have happened?

Sorry for panicking, but I simply don’t understand how this happened. Thank you for any answers.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

If anyone’s curious, nothing is cached.

Robin W

@robin-w

Now nothing is changing on the forum, even though everything else is going back to normal in the theme.
    How could it still be changed?

Sorry I’m confused as to what the issue is ?

Please post a link to your site and a page where you can describe what is not right

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

http://thevrlife.com/community/

Basically, I made a bunch of changes, and for some reason, the changes won’t go back when I delete the changes. The worse part (and I have no clue how this happens) is that when you click on the “test forum,” the background to the whole site gets darker randomly. I have no clue how it did this, and after changing everything back to how it was before, it still does it.

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

And If you look, the link is black. That is taken from a place that I changed in the template. Well, 8 changed it back to red, and everything in the template that changed to black, changed back, yet the forum link is still black instead of red.

I also changed the background of the forum using a child theme. After deleting the changes I made, it won’t go back. I even switched back to the parent theme, and it won’t go back.

Robin W

@robin-w

Your site is coming up with malware – see the following link

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/thevrlife.com

I suggest getting this cleared first, and then if you still have this issue come back

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

That isn’t actually mallware. It’s an under construction plugin that makes certain pages not visible.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, but sorry I don’t load sites that come up bad, so can’t really help further

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Okay well I too it off, though it still says it I believe. I’m on my phone right now, but there seriously shouldn’t be any mallware. It even calls it “maintenance mode” as the title. That’s what the plugin in called.

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Okay, I checked it, and that site says it’s fine now. Please check again. I deleted that plugin. I could really use your help. http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/thevrlife.com.com

Robin W

@robin-w

OK, so I can see that you are on the theme explicit, which is presumably the parent theme so we can eliminate the style.css file in your child theme?

So if you have only changed styles in the main theme via their system, and in the child theme via style.css then if the child theme isn’t active it must be something in the main theme.

Since this is a paid theme – suggest you contact the theme suppliers to see if they can help.

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Thank you so much for the reply! I was thinking that too, but unfortunately, one change wasn’t determined by the theme (the background), yet that part won’t change either. I’ll probably still contact the theme. If you have any other suggestions, I’d love to hear them.

Robin W

@robin-w

so where did you change the background – in which file?

Also whilst caching on the server is eliminated, caching in your browser could be an issue.

So I might not be seeing what you’re seeing !

So try multiple refreshes of your browrser, and if that doens’t fix, can you post a screenshot of what you think is wrong, together with the url for that and I can compare !

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Sorry u might be confusing. There’s 2 different backgrounds. The one that I’m talking about now is the actual background of the tables. The even and odd of the forum. I changed it by putting this in my child theme:

#bbpress-forums div.odd,
    #bbpress-forums ul.odd {
    background-color: “the color you see”!Important;
    }
    #bbpress-forums div.even,
    #bbpress-forums ul.even {
    background-color:” the color you see”!important;
    }

I then changed the parts that affect the actual theme through theme options. After doing this, I noticed stuff wasn’t changing back once I put it back to the default color. I then tried changing the code above and it didn’t work anymore. Then I even deleted the code, yet it still didn’t change back to normal.

The original background was dark I believe. Can’t remember for sure. But now it’s white and a tan, which I set with the code above, but I can’t change it back.

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

And if you go to the forum, the background of the actual site under the top nah bar is a light tan. Then if you click on the test forum to go into it (though there aren’t any topics), you will notice it gets darker. I actually tried this on more than one device, so I doubt it’s browser cache.

Robin W

@robin-w

did you actually paste this line

background-color: “the color you see”!Important;

ie the real words “the color you see”

This would be ignored as it’s not proper code

And if you put this into your child theme, and you’re no longer using your child theme, then it wouldn’t matter anyway.

And if you go to the forum, the background of the actual site under the top nah bar is a light tan. Then if you click on the test forum to go into it (though there aren’t any topics), you will notice it gets darker.

Not sure what ‘the top nah bar ‘ if you mean nav, then I can’t see any tan in my browser, or anything going darker?????

Put an image on photobucket or similar please

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

No, I didn’t actually put the words “the color you see.” I don’t have the code anymore because I deleted it, so I’m not sure of the exact color I used, but it’s the one that it is now because it won’t go back to the original color.

Nav bar is what I mean. It’s just the background color of the whole site. Underneath the black bar, it’s a light tan. Somewhat the same color as this site here. When you click on one of the links, that color gets darker. Here are 2 links to the different colors I’m talking about. Please don’t take the arrows as being rude. I just want to make sure you see what I mean.

http://thevrlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/color.png

http://thevrlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/color2.png

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Okay, he suggested that I reset all the theme settings, and now it’s fixed! Thank you for keeping up with this. I really appreciate it!

Robin W

@robin-w

No problem.

Now you are back to the original, you might like to try this plugin that I have recently published

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

to style the elements within bbpress

Seo45
    Participant

@seo45

Wow! That’s awesome! I’ll definitely download it when I get home.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar