Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

PHP Version

• Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Is there somewhere, like in Trac or something, where I can find out the last version of PHP that bbP is tested with?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I’d be very surprised if the authors are actively testing with php versions.

Usually, you’d just deal with any errors – I’ve heard of none with 8.0.x or 8.1.x

my test site is running fine with 8.0.25 which will have security support for another year.

I’ll bump it to 8.1 and let you know of anything I find 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

As far as I can easily test, all seems ok, but under 8.1 you get a load of php warnings for wordpress itself.

From this trac ticket

https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54672

WP think that as this only shows when debug turned on it is fine, but as I always have it on in my test site because I am developing, it displays all over the place, so I’ve gone back to 8.0.x

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Thanks Robin. I kind of assumed the situation was like what you’re saying. But I just ran into some problems with another plugin (with PHP 8.1) and the authors of that one simply said they’re not supporting 8.1 yet – so no point in reporting issues. This caused me to question the situation with some of my other “main” plugins 🙂

FYI, though our real sites are still on PHP 7.4, my test site is currently running 8.1.10 and I have not *seen* any problems with bbPress (though it doesn’t get much of a workout there).

Mike

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Ha — I turn on notices 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks for that.

The wp issue is kinda annoying, not only for filling my screen with warnings, but the errors appear when accessing lots of plugin pages, so are being reported as plugin errors. Which of course makes the plugins look bad.

Wordfence is an example, with it running and debug turned on, loads of pages display the wp errors 🙂

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

I have everything turned on, but going into the logs. Actually I have a separate php log for error/warnings, and another one for debugging stuff like notices and deprecated. So I can see everything in the logs when needed but don’t have to wade through the notices to see the actual errors and warnings.

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

But I do agree that it is very annoying that WP and many plugins don’t take these things seriously!

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar