Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Per Forum Permissions by Group

• childofnewlight
    Participant

@childofnewlight

After having exhaustively searched for the last few nights for information on this topic, I have not been able to find an answer.

I’m currently using the most up-to-date versions of both WP and bbPress. My current website uses Joomla, rokbridge, and phpbb3.

However, I’m trying to setup a new site based on WordPress and bbPress seems like an awesome alternative to having to mess around with forum bridges for phpbb3.

I was well on my way to adopting bbPress as our new forum software. Successfully imported the phpbb forum. Just fixing things up after the import like setting categories and moving forums around into their proper place. Then I realized that private forums were now public.

‘No problem’, I though. I went to each forum settings to be amazingly disappointed that there was only three options: hidden, private, and open.

With our current phpbb setup I can create a group. Add people to it. Then go to the forum (or their group) and give them permission to see the group.

This is especially important as we are a Christian gaming clan. We have a private guild forum that allows members of our clan to discuss things privately amongst each other (like private vent login info). We also have an officer forum that lets us candidly discuss potential applicants.

I would like to allow officers access to certain forums. Guild members to certain other forums. As far as I can tell, bbpress excludes this very basic ability.

I tried using the Members plugin for WordPress that is suppose to have bbpress integration. It wouldn’t work properly. At times it wouldn’t allow a role to see certain forums and other times it didn’t matter what permissions were set, it’d see it anyway.

I’m going to look at support for the Members mod, but it seems kind of silly that this wouldn’t be an integral part of a modern forum software.

Unless I’m missing something, I’ll have to stick with messing around with phpbb for now.

Viewing 6 replies - 151 through 156 (of 156 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I just found 15 minutes to take a quick look.

It’s probably fair to say that if you were trying to hide how the admin sections works, then bbpress would get an Oscar. Function buried in function buried in actions. I cannot see how the forum, topic or replies lists are called so cannot work out how to filter them.

How important is this to you?

nishant2hit
    Participant

@nishant2hit

Thanks Robin for looking into this. I have disabled dashboard for non-admin users and that works well for me as of now. So, no issues there.
    My next query may be a bit out of bbpress’s scope (i hope i am not being too much of a pest here). Is there a way to allow forum moderator to edit a table (say tablepress table)? I am editing it as an admin but would like moderator of individual forums to be able to do so.
    Thanks a ton and feel free to ignore if out of bbpress’s scope or guide me to start a new topic if the query is out of scope of current topic.

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey no problem, glad you’re fixed

I suspect that the plugin author would be better to sort you with tablepress eg

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/tablepress

but you may hot the catch 22 that editing is in the backend and you need to disable this for the forums !

Gondi63
    Participant

@gondi63

Hi Robin,

Came here to ask a question about the possibility of multiple groups per single user and realised that was added in a recent version. I wanted to say thank you for all your work and support on this platform; that single change made my day immensely easier.

Donation coming your way.

Keep up the good work!

Brian

Robin W

@robin-w

Tnanks Brian !

alkakrish8
    Participant

@alkakrish8

Great idea

Viewing 6 replies - 151 through 156 (of 156 total)
  • The topic ‘Per Forum Permissions by Group’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar