Categories
Search
Bottom

Participant cannot answer forum topic

• haddlyapis
    Participant

@haddlyapis

Hi there,
    a user with the forum status “participant” tried to answer a forum post but when after clicking on send, it gave the error “ERROR: Your reply cannot be edited at this time.”
    I cannot see why this is happening, but i offered to post his message using my “Admin” account (also “keymaster” in forum). and this worked.
    Any ideas why it won’t for his account`?
    I am reluctant to test it with another account, as my users may get a notification email.
    thx in advance.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• haddlyapis
    Participant

@haddlyapis

Hi there,

any ideas anyone? We have a major event coming up and will be using our forum quite a lot. Any suggestions appreciated.

Robin W

@robin-w

you get this error when the user fails moderation.

Admins can edit any post, so you would be able to in all events.

go to

dashboard>settings>discussion and look at the moderatin settings.

In most cases it is an excess of links, and you might want to up that parameter.

Otherwise bad words can be the cause

haddlyapis
    Participant

@haddlyapis

Hi there and thx for your reply on this matter,
    I have checked the Discussion settings and I cannot find the error. I have not added any stop-words and just to test a post, all I wrote was the word “test” as comment (which was rejected).
    Interestingly, I tried using a different user with only “participant” status and this worked. But there is no obvious reason why.
    I also set up a new, dummy account with “participant” status and this didn’t work.
    So I am at a loss.

haddlyapis
    Participant

@haddlyapis

Hey Robin,
    hope this message finds you, due to the spam above. How ironic that this forum message is about spam blocking:
    You were right with the “stop words”. Strangely, though, i have not been adding them via bbpress but instead using a plugin called “BanHammer”. It has helped greatly in stopping spam signups, but i didn’t realise that it added the strings to the “Settings –> Discussion –> “Disallowed Comment Keys” part.
    I had added the string “gmail.com” as I was getting some spam signups, and realised that the account i used to test post a comment was in fact my gmail.com account. So there you go. BanHammer and stop words.
    Thx again for your help, this is invaluable due to the amount of traffic we will shortly have.
    thx.