Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Participant accessing forum archive results in error

• amitkumarsingh
    Participant

@amitkumarsingh

When participant tries to access the forum archive page, they see the following error:
    Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_users_for_object() on null in /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php:125 Stack trace: #0 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php(146): bbp_get_users_for_object(6065, '_bbp_moderator_...', 'post') #1 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/capabilities.php(107): bbp_is_object_of_user(6065, 255, '_bbp_moderator_...') #2 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): bbp_map_primary_meta_caps(Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #3 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/plugin.php(206): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array) #4 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/sub-actions.php(523): apply_filters('bbp_map_meta_ca...', Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #5 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): bbp_map_meta_caps(Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #6 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/w in /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php on line 125 Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_users_for_object() on null in /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php:125 Stack trace: #0 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php(146): bbp_get_users_for_object(6065, '_bbp_moderator_...', 'post') #1 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/capabilities.php(107): bbp_is_object_of_user(6065, 255, '_bbp_moderator_...') #2 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): bbp_map_primary_meta_caps(Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #3 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/plugin.php(206): WP_Hook->apply_filters(Array, Array) #4 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/sub-actions.php(523): apply_filters('bbp_map_meta_ca...', Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #5 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): bbp_map_meta_caps(Array, 'moderate', 255, Array) #6 /nas/content/live/wsscholars/w in /nas/content/live/wsscholars/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php on line 125

On debugging, I was able to narrow it down to bbp_user_engagements_interface( $rel_key, $rel_type ) returning NULL for participant in function bbp_get_users_for_object().

Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening or how I can resolve it?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chrisverticalplus
    Participant

@chrisverticalplus

Hi,

I am encountering this error. did you ever find the cause?

Robin W

@robin-w

can you print the exact error you are having.

The one above I remember as fixed

chrisverticalplus
    Participant

@chrisverticalplus

The error we are getting is the same:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function get_users_for_object() on null in /var/www/vhosts/redacted-site-name/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/users/engagements.php:125

It seems bbp_user_engagements_interface is returning null if the user marks the forum as hidden. For now, we have told them not to do this, but we are concerned that a user action using the ui can cause such fatal errors. While we were troubleshooting I bypassed the error by adding a ? in the code to avoid the fatal error on null. This brought the site back up while we investigated the cause

`$retval = bbp_user_engagements_interface( $rel_key, $rel_type )?->get_users_for_object( $object_id, $rel_key, $rel_type );

Robin W

@robin-w

that’s great – thanks

so on my test site, I hid a forum and logged in as a participant, and the index shows fine.

so we need to work out what the difference between your site and my test site is.

so initially let’s eliminate outside factors such as a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar