Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Page not found 404

• Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Hi guys, newby here. Initially I unpublished my Forum & when I reinstated it the my topics are there but when I click on them I get Error 404 – Page not found!

The page you trying to reach does not exist, or has been moved. Please use the menus or the search box to find what you are looking for.

Couldn’t figure it out so I re installed bbPress & I’m back to the same issue! My website is http://www.discounthomebrewsupplies.com.au

Some help here would be great, I’m a newby at the whole wordpress/woocommerce thing so bare that in mind pls! Thanks

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• steve030
    Participant

@steve030

Have the exact same issue, and just happened recently.

I’m not using WooCommerce but it’s a pain in the ass.

I recently updated to WordPress 4.0 and think that may have something to do with it. But mine’s active in a membership site and have many angry members so will need it fixed asap!

Haven’t installed any plugins recently which could conflict so I’m not sure…

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Yeh it’s got me stuffed, that’s why I’m here. If you figure it out, be sure to give me a yell!

steve030
    Participant

@steve030

Will do.

Might have to get my developer onto the issue. But surely someone else has faced this before.

Have you upgraded to WP 4.0 recently too?

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Yeh I have but I’m not entirely sure that is my problem as I un activated the forum & re instated it before I updated to 4.0. & had this issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

Can you both list all the plugins you have, and which theme you’re using ?

Robin W

@robin-w

@colbah try

Dashboard>settings>permalinks

Don’t bother to change anything, but click SAVE, this will refresh your permalinks, and may get you going, come back if not.

@steve030
    wouldn’t hurt for you to do the same !

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Hi Robin, thanks for your reply & time. Did a save of Permalinks with no win.

Peddlar Theme

All in one WP Security
    bbPress
    Features
    Page Mash
    Paypal for WooCommerce
    Regenerate thumbnails
    WooCommerce
    WooCommerce accepted payment methods
    WooCommerce Australia Post
    WooCommerce Merchant Warrior (Transparent Redirect) Gateway

steve030
    Participant

@steve030

Also saved permalinks with no success.

I’ve got a massive list of plugins but none of which cross over with @colbah

Using a custom designed child theme on Genesis Framework.

Only started happening about 2 days ago…

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, since others aren’t yelling about this, this may not be a common issue between you, and think I’ll treat this as two separate issues

so

@colbah
    can you run

dashboard>tools<forums>repair forums, and run then one at a time

@steve030

you could do the same, it wouldn’t hurt, but suspect that it won’t fix.
    Rather can you describe in detail whether this is all forums, some forums, and what your users see when eg on topics, or forum lists etc.

as you didn’t

Jeremy054
    Participant

@jeremy054

Hi,

Another newbie here. The 404 error happened to me too, immediately after upgrading to WP 4.0.

I took your advice about refreshing the permalink settings and it almost didn’t work. That is, it didn’t work since I hadn’t made any changes.

But then I made a simple (for me) change: I changed the Common Settings from ‘Default’ to ‘Day and name’. That seems to have done the trick, the forum is now working. Note that when I changed it back to ‘Default’ the problem occurred again, so I’ll stick with “Day and name” for now.

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Hi Robin, I’ve run the repairs individually as directed. Still no fun πŸ™ . I also updated permalinks again and no win there also. Strange issue this one.

Robin W

@robin-w

@jeremy054 – thanks for this

@colbah
    , @steve030 – are your permalinks on default?

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Yes mine are set to default.

Colbah
    Participant

@colbah

Okay Day & Name & I’ve had a win. Thankyou very muchly for your time and assistance πŸ™‚

STG
    Participant

@stg

Tried that, in fact every single setting – nothing πŸ™

Will not even let me try to repair the forums :You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page

Robin W

@robin-w

@stg – then it is probably a plugin conflict.

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

RitaNow
    Participant

@ritanow

My site uses bbPress 2.5.4 for forums and topics. New topics can select a forum to be placed in. But when selecting a forum to read the error is Page Not Found.

Example, http://raptureintheairnow.com/?forum=devotions should show the forum of Devotions. But from the main page http://raptureintheairnow.com/ all the topics can be viewed.

All other plugins and themes are current.

Permalinks are set to default.

Robin W

@robin-w

@ritanow

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

RitaNow
    Participant

@ritanow

My fix was to remove all sub-forums. I moved all sub-forums to the top without a parent. I can still display the forums the way I want with the customized menu. This fixed my problem.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, thanks for letting us know

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, we have two issues with wp 4.0

ISSUE 1

The first gives 404 errors with sub forums for users with default permalinks. This is due to a bug in wp4.0, and netweb is on the case to get this fixed in 4.0.1

I’m working on patch for bbpress, but otherwise in the meantime there are 3 workarounds

1. Change your permalinks to any of the other settings

Dashboard>settings>permalinks

The most often used is ‘postname’

This will not only fix your issue, but make your links look prettier. However if you have links to your site forums from other sites/emails, these links might break (ie they will come up as 404 errors), but if your choice is between users not accessing, or users complaining that the link in that old email no longer works, then resetting might seem a good idea.

2. revert to 3.9.2

see

for quite a good video on how to do it

3. Move your sub-forums up a level ie make them all main forums

and keep monitoring this site for a solution.

ISSUE TWO

The second hides topics and/or replies with some themes and other plugins. This is due to a change in wp4.0 on how it handles searches.

For the second, the patch in this plugin may help.

bbpress wp4 fix

If it does, please come back and say

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar