Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

One or two subscribers not receiving Forum notifications

• deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

One or two subscribers are not receiving email notifications despite having subscribed to the Forum. I’ve checked on the Forum and you can see that they have subscribed but looking at the mail logs, their email addresses aren’t on it. Has this happened to anyone else? Would be really grateful for your help. Latest WordPress & BBpress being used. Does it take some time for notifications to be sent after a member has registered? I’ve sent a test email through BB Style and they’ve received it but nothing is coming through from the Forum. Many thanks.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

mail is one of the hardest things to debug in WordPress – there are so many factors that might be affecting.

this plugin works successfully on my sites

WP Mail SMTP by WPForms

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

Thanks for the reply! I’ve installed an email log and it turns out that at least 30 people who have subscribed to one forum (me included on another email address) aren’t receiving any notifications at all. They aren’t actually even being sent from the Forum (let alone being received). It’s as though there is some block between someone subscribing and the notifications being sent out. Help!

Robin W

@robin-w

so have you tried the above?

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

Yes, I have installed the SMTP plugin but unfortunately, it has made no difference so far. You can see the names of the people who have subscribed but even when the new plugin is in use, and I look at the mailing logs, a number of names are still missing. Interestingly – I receive notifications from one Forum I’ve subscribed to but not the other.

Robin W

@robin-w

it may be that your mail client is chopping emails with multiple recipients

try this

AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

Thank you so much for the plugin recommendation. It solved the problem (brilliant!) and then I started getting these error messages and the emails stopped sending again.

EMAIL DELIVERY ERROR: the plugin WP Mail SMTP v2.0.0 logged this error during the last time it tried to send an email:
    Mailer: Default (none)
    PHPMailer was able to connect to SMTP server but failed while trying to send an email.
    Please review your WP Mail SMTP settings in plugin admin area. Consider running an email test after fixing it.

Also “could not instantiate mail function” message appeared in the mail logs.

Is it possible to point me in the right direction to resolve this? Many thanks.

Robin W

@robin-w

you’ll need to refer to your hosting provider

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

Will do – thank you so much for your help!

Robin W

@robin-w

they should be able to give you settings

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

OK! next instalment … I signed up to a new email address with our hosting provider (Siteground) but they appear to have 400 emails an hour limit which means that a good proportion of emails aren’t being sent. I’m using Easy WP SMTP plugin. Can anyone recommend a paid version of an SMTP plugin that would be able to cope with sending a few thousand emails notifications per day? Thank you!

Robin W

@robin-w

from your last post the issue seems to be your email provider only letting you have 400 emails an hour, so changing plugin will not help unless you find one that will throttle sending.

deborahdavidson
    Participant

@deborahdavidson

Everything has been sorted now and it’s working well! So the solution in case anyone in the future comes up with the same question is that I used the Easy WP SMTP plugin and linked this up to Amazon SES (AWS). Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you are fixed 🙂 and thanks for posting the solution for you.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar