Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Notify me of follow-up replies via email: How does this work?

• Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

I have a WP installation with bbPress installed. I am setting up moderators and would like them to receive emails from posted forum topics and replies so they can keep up with the forum when they are not logged in. I set up forwarders in the server for the email account for the forum domain email address (example team@ourblog.com).

But then I realized that I get these topics and replies sent to me via the generic email account for the hosting account (myuserlogin@box###.bluehost.com) on the server. I also get then to my primary email account and I am not sure how that happens, but thought this was because I checked “Notify me of follow-up replies via email.”

How does “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” actually work? I can’t find anything in documentation that explains this. Does it harvest the topics and replies and send it to the email of the poster who has checked this feature? Why am I getting this mail sent to the my isp default box number for my account?

If I could figure out how bbPress is determining email addresses, then I could solve my own problem.
    Thank you, Matoca
    WordPress 3.8.1
    bbPress 2.5.3-5249
    http://www.secondchanceaihadogs.com

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

you could try the following plugin that I use

bbpress notify

It lets you set who receives

once installed go to dashboard>settings>forums and you’ll see options.

These are set at WP-roles, so you would probably have your moderators as editors. If you a code person, I’m sure you could mod the plugin to look for bbpress moderators.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Robin,
    Super information. Thank you! That certainly sounds like the correct way to do this. I’ll give that a try now.
    my best, Matoca

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Well, it was kind of a disaster today. I set all the moderators to get the topics and replies. Suddenly everyone was getting multiple emails for one topic or reply. I had to change the settings back to just the owner (me) getting the notifications for the meanwhile until I can figure out why these emails are being duplicated.

The problem is that I can’t figure out what email address(s) bbPress uses to send these emails and how it obtains it/them. (I do understand that the plugin uses the User’s email addresses in Users as the addressee) We are getting emails from the standard Bluehost box but also emails from the team@ourblog.com address as well.

So my inbox filled up with 3 copies of each post and then all the moderators started emailing me to tell me that they were receiving multiple emails too.

Robin W

@robin-w

hmmm…my version works perfectly, one email per topic or reply.

bbPress uses WordPress to email, and the line in bbress notify is
    `@wp_mail($email, $subject, $body, $headers);
    `
    Maybe that something within your wordpress/host setup is causing the issue (I suspect from yoru comments you already think this might be the case).

I’d suggest you do a test. in Dashboard>settings>discussion enable “email me whenever anyone posts a comment” and then post a comment to a blog (not bbPress). If you get more than one email, then it is not a bbPress problem, and try posting it to https://wordpress.org/support/ for help.

Matoca
    Participant

@matoca

Robin,
    Thank you for the suggestions. I tried this and found that the conflict comes from the option on the bottom of the forum pages that allows users to “Notify me of follow-up replies via email.” If this is checked it sends an email to the user. It sends the same content as the plugin, but the emails are formatted slightly different, enough that I was able to identify them:
    You are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum topic. Login and visit the topic to unsubscribe from these emails.”

The plugin formats the emails like this:
    “Hello! A new reply has been posted by . Topic title: Reply To: Content:”

What complicates this is that once checked on the forum page, the “notify me of follow-ups” will continue to remain checked and the users would have to uncheck it each time they posted. I read about this on another support topic, the default is supposed to be not checked but once it is checked it stays checked.

I think this also means that if it is checked, even if you have never posted to the topic, you still get the email. I will have to follow this carefully to see what the behavior is for others.

So without being able to control the “notify me of follow-ups” checkbox, I must rely on the moderators to take care of this themselves.
    Thank you so much for your help, it was invaluable!
    Matoca

Robin W

@robin-w

No problem, I had seen this “notify me of follow-ups” checkbox in another thread.

Suspect it needs to be a setting option in a later version, as I like it to check automatically !

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar