Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

notify admin

• why in the world isn’t admin notified for new posts, new users…?

where can i insert a mail(admin) function…?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • for new user notification, use this one

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/new-user-notification/

for new posts notification, use this one

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/subscribe-to-topic/

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Hi Glenn,

I’d take a deep breathe and read my article “Basic versus Standard”:

http://www.kevinjohngallagher.com/2010/02/25/basic-versus-standard/

Not that it’s an ideal fit, but it covers the basics (pun intended) that I think alot of people new to bbPress should have an understanding of. bbPress has the very bare minimum of basic features; that is features that are required to make the forum software actually work like a forum.

It has very very few standard features, which are on the whole based on personal perception, effectively what we each individually consider ‘most’ or other forums to have.

For your goodself, admin notification would be one of these features that you think should be included. I can’t say that in my 2 years of using bbPress I’ve ever missed that as a feature (although i’m kinda sure that bbPress 0.9 had new user email notification – but i turned it off very quickly).

bbPress has alot of positives, really loads. Very few of those are features that the community consider standard.

Take Care,

Kev

don’t tell ME what kind of day to have!!

just kidding. :o) yep, i realize it’s a barebones build. i did kinda think it’d have been a default to notify the admin of new posts, users, etc… i found the plugin, tho. thanks

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

why in the world isn’t admin notified for new posts?

Because you can just watch bb-admin/posts.php or subscribe to /rss. An email for every new post is a bad idea.

why in the world isn’t admin notified for new users?

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/new-user-notification/

“i found the plugin, tho. thanks”

you mean like an email for new posts in WP is a bad idea…? oh. wait…

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

A sarcasm, how wonderful.

Email for new posts in WP is different because, drumroll please, a forum and a blog are different things !!! They work differently, both from an end user and an administrator point of view.

Not to mention, and I know this one is hard to accept, but WordPress has been around for 7 years, has had 17 released, has a core development team of over 10 people with 100s of others submitting patches and code snippets per release and recieved $29million of VC funding last year… while bbPress has been around for 3 years, has had 4 releases, has 0 developers and less than a handfull of people submitting patches/code and ofcourse has 0 money.

Really, I’m all for sarcasm to make a point. But try and hold off on it until you can either a) make a good point or b) have joined the website for more than a day.

Oh, and just an FYI, when people like ZAERL who give up their time to help YOU with your question, if you bother to reply (and you should) maybe, just maybe… say THANK YOU. You might have heard of it, its this new fangled thing kids are calling “manners”, hopefully it’ll catch on. Oh no, wait…

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

“i found the plugin, tho. thanks”

When I posted your response automagically appeared. Unfortunately bbPress hasn’t the revision functionality of phpBB.

you mean like an email for new posts in WP is a bad idea…? oh. wait…

This is the bbPress forum and not the WordPress one. Email notification on a blog can have a reason to exists (in the dashboard you have the list of recent comments) but on a forum is a really bad idea. On a tipical medium sized forum you have ~50-100 posts / day which will results in an equal number of emails.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar