Categories
Search
Bottom

Notification mails not being sent to poster

• meembat
    Participant

@meembat

Hi,

I am using bbPress and also bbPress Notify. The Notify plug in is set to notify users of creation of a New post. While only administrators are notified of replies.

The email notification to administrators works perfectly and all new posts and replies are notified.

However, replies are not being sent to the original poster even if the “Notify replies” box is checked.

I can’t see those email in the email logs in the Post SMTP plugin that I use to handle emails.

So it looks like the email is not being initiated even.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Yes, that is standard bbpress behaviour – replies are not sent to the author on the grounds that he does not need to be told that he has posted a reply 🙂

I think bbpress notify follows that principal as well.

There is a filter that could be used to change this behaviour if it is critical, but it will probably annoy as many posters as those who like it. Personally I have enough emails 🙂

If you like, I’ll take a more detailed look, but it may not be a free answer.

meembat
    Participant

@meembat

Sorry the subject line was possibly misleading.

I am expecting that when some one posts a reply, then the original author is notified by email that he/she has had a reply. (Just as I got an email when you replied to this)

That is the email that is not is not being sent.

Currently the author needs to check back on the forum frequently to see if there are any replied.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, If you are certain that

1. the box is being ticked (by default it is left blank), and that
    2. emails are working from within bbpress (ie if someone else subscribes to the topic they get an email)

then the standard fault finding applies…

it could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwenty, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

If you cannot do this to your site (say because it is live) then use the ‘troubleshooting’ features of this plugin to let you test without affecting other users

Health Check & Troubleshooting

Then come back

meembat
    Participant

@meembat

I disabled bbpress Notify and found that the notifications to replies/subscription is working.

I had NOT set bbpress notify to override bbpress subscriptions, so not sure why it was still disabling those notifications.

However, the email seem to have been addressed to noreply@domain, with the user email Bcc’ed

Is that how the notifications are sent? Not sure where the noreply@ was set, there is no such email in the system, so it will bounce.

Robin W

@robin-w

I had NOT set bbpress notify to override bbpress subscriptions, so not sure why it was still disabling those notifications.

I suspect that plugin assumes you want to override the subscriptions – but no idea.

However, the email seem to have been addressed to noreply@domain, with the user email Bcc’ed

Yes this is how bbpress now does this. The idea is that many mailservers chop lots of emails being sent at once, so this avoids that pitfall in theory. The fact that the noreply goes nowhere is not an issue as such, and you’ll find that many sites use this method.

You can use this to amend that, though old this plugin still works

AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions

and if you want to amend the sending email use

bbp style pack

and dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>Subscription Emails

Finally you might want to try

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-notify-nospam/ as a better version of the notify plugin

meembat
    Participant

@meembat

I am using bbpress notify (no spam). I just dropped the no spam part in the post.

I am ok with the Bcc. Just need to figure out how to ensure bbpress notify (no spam) does not interfere with the notifications from subscriptions.

The alternative would be default all users to be subscribers to all forums. Is there a plugin for that? Or else may need some code or direct database changes to implement that.

meembat
    Participant

@meembat

So I have the issue resolved.

I checked the box to let bbPress Notify (no spam) “Override subscriptions” so that this plugin handles those replies.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar