Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Nothing after installation

• ChrisLegendary
    Participant

@chrislegendary

Hi, i have recently been put in charge of fixing a website and i wanted to add a forum, bbpress seems perfect. So i get to installation, it goes through fine. But after installation, there is nothing that shows that i have it installed, the only indication is that is in my installed plugins. There is no place were i can insert the forum into my site or even view any options for it… Please help πŸ™‚
    I am using v. 3.8.1 wordpress and bbPress v. 2.5.3

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• KBonaker
    Participant

@kbonaker

I have the same problem.
    There is no BB Press on the side menu bar although it says it installed correctly.
    On the side menu bar there is no Forum listed, so if I wanted to add a new test forum this is not possible

KB

Cole
    Participant

@oldkcole

I have the same problem, though it happened after I updated WordPress to 3.8.2.

a42
    Participant

@a42

*bump* same problem here… also just updated to 3.8.2.

Solution ?

vinaunder
    Participant

@vinaunder

when I activate bbpress, my site gets pages blank, anyone know why?
    I’m using WP version 3.8.2 and bbpress 2.5.3

a42
    Participant

@a42

I suspect it has something to do with the Heartbleed / OpenSSL -flaw …

How can this be solved ? bbPress is – apparently – not up-to-date with that (?)

Cole
    Participant

@oldkcole

@a42 I have decided to move to a different type of forum as I have realised by reading past threads that questions and issues raised are not well addressed, and in some cases not answered at all. I assume bbPress needs to updated to be compatible to the new version of WordPress.

@vinaunder
    It is going blank due to the plugin causing issues with the new version of WordPress. Go to your FTP manager, and save the plugin on your computer and then delete the plugin on ther server. You will be able to login into the dashboard. That was my issue in any case…

a42
    Participant

@a42

@oldkcole you have moved to a different type of forum as in outside WordPress [scary thought…] ?

Cole
    Participant

@oldkcole

WP Symposium, so still for WordPress

a42
    Participant

@a42

ok, is that as customizable as bbpress in the free version ?

(a shame that I have to look else where for some else as bbpress is highly customzable…)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@a42 this absolutely has NOTHING to do with Heartbleed. It’s so non-related, it’s almost inflammatory to advertise otherwise.

When you activate bbPress, you should be assigned the “Key Master” role, and redirected to the bbPress about page in your dashboard. If that’s not happening, that’s a bug, and you should assign yourself the Key Master role to have access to bbPress’s admin areas.

a42
    Participant

@a42

@johnjamesjacoby ok, I believe you πŸ™‚

So, I did a reset of the roles in the user role editor plugin and suddenly the forum links in backend is back … how strange that is …

KBonaker
    Participant

@kbonaker

Hi all,
    I wanted to mention that it took about 2 hours for the Forum heading to show up on the menu dashboard after I installed BB Press. It is working fine now with no issues.

Server maybe? not sure..
    Karen

ChrisLegendary
    Participant

@chrislegendary

@johnjamesjacoby and how would one assign oneself as the “keymaster”?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

* Visit Admin > Users
    * Tick the box next to your account
    * Use the right-most drop-down and select “Key Master”
    * Save the page

I’ll note again that under normal circumstances this should happen automatically when activating bbPress. Sorry it didn’t, and I’m curious to know any other plugins you may have installed (to see if there’s some conflict with one of them that prevented this.)

a42
    Participant

@a42

@kbonaker lucky you… heading & content of topics are missing – though I can see they are been included in the templates…

@chrislegendary
    I have that opportunity now after a reset of the roles in the role-plugin I use… Just remember to backup your installation fairly often (I use https://infinitewp.com/ to manage my installations) as a reset of the roles can f…up your content as well :/

Cheers,
    Adam

ChrisLegendary
    Participant

@chrislegendary

Alright, thanks guys. I will try this out when i get to work πŸ™‚

callerpatty
    Participant

@callerpatty

Hi
    I too am having issues with seeing the admin area of bbpress
    Brand new site with no content yet
    WordPress 3.8.2 running Twenty Thirteen theme.
    Installed plugins:
    Post Expirator
    SimpleLinks
    TinyMCE
    WordPress FAQ Manager
    WP-Filebase
    WP e-Commerce

With these plugins active, I am able to get to the Forum activity on the dashboard, but that’s it. Interestingly, there is only one user in my WPinstall, but the forums activity is displaying 19?

And the conflict appears to be with WP e-commerce Version 3.8.13.4 When I deactivate that plugin the links magically appear, but it doesn’t display the number of users correctly.

We need to run WP e-commerce and would like to run bbpress if the conflict can be resolved.

Cole
    Participant

@oldkcole

Here is the bug:
    When logged in as keymaster, I cannot see the forums menu nor assign a role as that function is missing in the user account section.

So I crated a new user and assigned it as keymaster, I then logged into that new user but couldnt see the forum role area, but when I checked my actual user using the new user and listing all users, I can see my user account is assigned as a keymaster.

Essentially somehow the plugin is not registering the user as any role while logged into that user account

Cole
    Participant

@oldkcole

This was my solution:
    I installed WP DB manager, went to the empty/drop menu of the plugin and selected any bbpress entries under drop which deletes data in the table (they all cluster so it will be easy to find). I then installed bbpress and it works.

Warning: please backup database before you fiddle with it!

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

And the conflict appears to be with WP e-commerce Version 3.8.13.4 When I deactivate that plugin the links magically appear, but it doesn’t display the number of users correctly.

WP e-Commerce has one known issue in 3.8.13 that I know of, it is fixed for 3.8.14 though this appears to be a different issue:

Trying to Edit Reply causes infinite redirect loop

Maybe post a question on their support forums here https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-e-commerce

donalconlon
    Participant

@donalconlon

Same thing happening to me. Running WordPress 3.9. I activated bbPress – first time i got a weird access denied error, so I removed and reinstalled. Now when I activate, i get nothing, no welcome page, nothing on the left menu. I do get a widget on the dashboard telling me I have no forums…

Any more thoughts on this?

donalconlon
    Participant

@donalconlon

So I create a new user, give them admin and keymaster roles and login as them. I now see Forums on the left nav. When I click the Forums link I get the message “Cheatin’ uh?”.

I browse back to the dashboard, and now the Forums link is no longer there!

Frustrating…

donalconlon
    Participant

@donalconlon

Any definitive fix to this? Would really like to get this working.

donalconlon
    Participant

@donalconlon

So, it looks like EventEspresso is the conflict. I disabled EventEspresso 4 and I can see all the bbPress links.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar