Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

noob bb/wp installation issues

• jeremiahsjamison

@jeremiahsjamison

i’m trying to install BB & integrate into WP. am a noob, so apologies.

=can i upload the bbpress 1.0.2.zip directly as with other plugins? appears not, as after upload there’s nothing in plugins list to manage

=assuming i am to upload bbpress via ftp, how do i get the whole folder to upload? this may be a problem with my ftp client, which won’t let me throw a whole folder onto the web site, it wants individual flyers.

=when i upload bbpress to my web site, which folder or path do i put it to?

any other tutorials and step-by-steps that are detailed i would much appreciate.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

No apologies needed for being new mate, we all were once.

bbPress is a standalone piece of software and not a WordPress plugin.

Ideally at some stage in the last 3 years someone would have put theat sentance somewhere obvious on this website, or in the readme or something because you’re not the first to make this mistake, and you won’t be the last.

You basically want to upload bbPress into it’s own folder below wordpress. You can call this anything you want (forums, support, bbpress, chat etc).

Edit your config file in that folder, and load that folder in a browser (same way you install wordpress basically) and an installer appears.

Now, there is a guide on this website found here: https://bbpress.org/documentation/installation/

Personally, i think it’s a clear and detailed as mud so I strongly recommend the following guide:

http://wpbbpthemes.org/integration/

It’s very procedural, but given that it takes 19 steps to explain to you what the official documentation explains in 1 step (“6.Follow the instructions in the installer”), i think thats a really good thing.

Any questions, come back and drop us a line.

Kev

jeremiahsjamison

@jeremiahsjamison

Thanks much Kev for helping me get started!

Quick ? : when you say, upload bbPress into it’s own folder below wordpress, is there a specific loc? I.e., should I throw this in wp-content, wp-admin, or just at the root level?

I think the docs say throw it on the root level, but I’m not sure that’s right.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Throw the “folder” below WordPress.

You should put it inside a FOLDER in the root of your WordPress site. The name of that folder determines the URL where the forum will be accessible on the Internet.

So, if your WordPress site is at http://www.example.com/ , and you create a folder called bbpress in your WordPress root (and put all the bbPress files in there) then your bbPress forum will be accessible at http://www.example.com/bbpress/

If you don’t want bbpress in your url, call the folder where you put the files something else. For example, here it’s called “forums”. You can use forum, discussion, community, etc. That will be part of the URL where you access the forum.

/var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/
    /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-admin/
    /var/www/html/wordpress/bbpress/

That is where the folder will go; on the same level with wp-content and wp-admin. It is at the same level.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Wow, backticks in this post actually formatted the code sort of nicely (with a white box.)

TEST:

<?php
    if (function_exists('phpinfo')) {
    phpinfo();
    }
    ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Oh well :-(

Trying

<?php
    phpinfo();
    }
    ?>

[code]

<?php

phpinfo();

}

?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Oh well again. Not sure why the white background appeared in the previous post. Maybe that was always there

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I can answer that Chirs.

If you type in , you get a [code] HTML output.
    If you type in a [backtick] you get a [code] wrapped in a [pre] tag (which is right so formatting is preserved as well).

The [pre] tag is the one that has the cool style on it.

#bborg-discussion #thread div.post pre {
    background-color:#FFFFFF;
    border:1px solid #EAEAEA;
    display:block;
    overflow:auto;
    padding:10px;
    width:528px;
    }

Don’t you just LOVE this new untested theme with all these wonderful hacks?

[code], you get a HTML output.
    If you type in a [backtick] you get a [code] wrapped in a [pre] tag (which is right so formatting is preserved as well).

}

[code] HTML output.

If you type in a [backtick] you get a wrapped in a [pre] tag (which is right so formatting is preserved as well).

}

[code] wrapped in a [pre] tag (which is right so formatting is preserved as well).

}

Thanks for the link Kevin. Solve my problem. I tried editing the bb-config with the deep integration section but got an error relating to the function call. What exactly is “Deep Integration”? Been searching for a definition but havent found one yet.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Deep integration is when you include wp-load.php in your bb-config.php, so that you have access to WordPress functions (like get_sidebar(), get_header()) in bbPress. It’s not recommended, and it’s not an official bbPress term by any means. There are just several different types of integration and calling this one “deep” helps keep things straight.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar