Categories
Search
Bottom

No search results in insert link box

• rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

Hello,

I’ve built a Document Management System with WP and recently I’ve installed bbPress. Since then the insert link pop-up when editing posts show no search results. Even if search text is left empty, no result posts are listed. Only when logged in as an Admin, it works properly.

When I deactivate bbPress the pop-up contains search results for non-Admin users as well.

Some details:
    – WP 3.9.1 on Genesis Framework
    – bbPress 2.5.3 and Genesis Extend 1.0.2
    – Press Permit Core / PP Collaborative Editing Pack / PP Compatibility Pack
    – about 29 active plugins in total

The site is completely private, so a link won’t help.

Best regards,
    Roland Bouman

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

I accidentally started 2 topics. The copy in ‘Installation’ can be removed.

Robin W

@robin-w

Suspect it is theme or plugin related!

Normally I’d just post the standard text viz

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

but with 29 plugins that could take you a while ! and it could even be a combination.

Think I’d start with a quick theme change to eliminate that and then I suppose it depends on who needs access as non admin but able to add links as to whether you plough through and work out where it is failing.

rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. I might not have been clear in my post, but I already deactivated bbPress only and then the problem doesn’t occur. It’s not theme related, I had already switched to Twenty Fourteen and the problem persists.

Robin W

@robin-w

then it’s probably a conflict with one of your 29 other plugins ! šŸ™‚

rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

I might be missing something, but if deactivating the bbPress plugin solves the problem, the bbPress plugin is probably causing it.

So I did some further tests. If I deactivate ALL plugins except for bbPress, the problem is still there. If I then deactivate bbPress as well, the problem doesn’t occur.

I think this narrows it down to bbPress. Do you have any suggestions?

Robin W

@robin-w

‘I might be missing something, but if deactivating the bbPress plugin solves the problem, the bbPress plugin is probably causing it.’

Depends how you define ’cause’

bbPress is tested against the default themes (twentyten, twentyeleven etc.) and latest versions of wordpress, and should be fully functional against that.

Since bbPress is just a plugin, it ranks equally alongside all other plugins and all non core themes. All of these have the capability to conflict with each other as theme and plugin authors use tweaks and add-ons to WordPress. The ability for two authors of plugins/themes to try to change an element is actually quite large, and changes can have unexpected results.

So if two authors both make a change and one overwrites the other, both can argue it is the other’s fault.

So I cannot get bbPress with a default theme to have your issue for authors or above.

If without any other plugins, and using a default theme, you get this issue, then please come back with what levels of access and I’ll look further.

rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

OK, I get it šŸ™‚

In your opinion, does it make sense to deinstall all plugins instead of deactivating them in order to test this? Or do I have to perform a new fresh install, since code already might have been overwritten and this is probably not undone by deinstalling plugins. I can do both on my local dev.

Robin W

@robin-w

The approach should be to get to a ‘clean’ site – ie one that works, and then add back theme, and then plugins until you find which is conflicting with bbPress.

Some plugins and themes delete database stuff when they are deleted, but many/most just leave it behind, so deactivating should do it.

If you have a local dev, then I’d deactivate ALL plugins, and change to a default theme.

Then test if this works. if it does then you have a good start point.

Then add bbPress and see if this produces an issue.

a) If it does, then come back with what theme, and confirm versions of bbpress, wordpress and theme and exactly what you are doing to test – ie user set to… go into… select…. and I’ll try to replicate.

or

b) If your base version above works, then add theme next. Don’t worry about the extend plugin, as you’re seeing if the issue is with a post, not bbPress !

Then add extend and re-test

Then each plugin and retest

rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

Hi Robin,

Meanwhile I did what you suggested. Deactivating all plugins and reactivate bbPres only was already enough. Everything worked as it should. Then I reactivated the other plugins one by one till all of them were activated. The insert link box was still working OK.

So in your opinion, is it possible that deactivating and reactivating all plugins solved the problem? I’m trying to understand.

Thanks for your efforts!

Robin W

@robin-w

@rbbouman‘Iā€™m trying to understand.’ Wish I could tell you a confident answer ! I’ve worked with computers for over 30 years, and I still don’t understand them ! šŸ™‚

But yes, I suspect that the old trick of “turn it off and turn it on again” has worked !

rbbouman
    Participant

@rbbouman

Well, that works for me!

All the best.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar