Categories
Search
Bottom

New User Creation, Lost Password and more

• alaskatoargentina
    Participant

@alaskatoargentina

Hello all,

I am new to bbPress and I’m pretty astounded by how incomplete out of the box this thing is. I’m really trying to love it but at every turn I’m experiencing a disconnect… : (

URL: http://www.landscapephotographysf.com/forums/forum/landscape-photography-sf-forum/

I’m wondering if someone may be able to assist me through these pretty easy problems, as I can’t find any recent answers on these questions.

1. How do new users login/find password? I’ve already created pages with the short code and added it to the widgets. Doesn’t work.

Notice how although the widget is created, it doesn’t appear on the forum:

Am I missing something here?

Graham

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

I am new to bbPress and I’m pretty astounded by how incomplete out of the box this thing is. I’m really trying to love it but at every turn I’m experiencing a disconnect… : (

What do you mean exactly?
    I’ll add this for starters, making bbPress templates compatible with every WordPress theme in existence is not possible ‘out of the box’ we do try to do our best though 🙂

I have just had a quick look at the theme authors site and there is very little publicly accessible info available so I can’t link you to that. It would also be worth looking at their support forums to see if any others have had issues and/or fixes when using bbPress

Support

1. How do new users login/find password? I’ve already created pages with the short code and added it to the widgets. Doesn’t work.

For this you will need to make sure bbPress is using a template from your theme that includes a sidebar. If you look in your theme folder you will probably find a file named page-sidebar.php, make a copy of that file and rename it to bbpress.php and now bbPress will use template for all your bbPress pages like forums, topics etc

Once the sidebar is present that will also fix the login issue as you have the login widget set for your sidebar.

alaskatoargentina
    Participant

@alaskatoargentina

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the response!

Regarding how incomplete bbPress is: When a new user installs bbPress it’s very unclear how to actually get it functional.

Thanks for the page template advice. Notice how page-sidebar.php doesn’t exist?

I did duplicate sidebar-blog.php to see if that solved it, yet this is the result:

Absolutely nothing… it broke the forum apparently? 🙁

Within the forum page itself I can’t define a page template for it to adhere to:

I’m a new user of bbPress and I’d like users to be able to register themselves, that’s it! Is there any easy way to achieve this?

Graham

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Ok, most likely duplicating page.php would be the way to go, you may have to add what is also inside loop-page.php though looking at your other pages on your site these also don’t have a sidebar so again it’s hard to say exactly what is needed as I don’t have access to this theme as it is a commercial theme.

Did you post (and or look) on http://organicthemes.com/support/ to see if they have instructions on using bbPress with that theme?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar