Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

new admin cant see forums

• just added a new admin, now he cant see any forums, as if it was wiped clean. tried him as moderator, same thing. when i changed him to member, he saw everything again…..he has erased cookies, and i just cant plain think of anything else…

thanks for the help!

running 0.9.0.2

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Can you post a screenshot of the view a keymaster sees? Is the screen completely blank, or is the installation there but no from the database being displayed?

http://steadibum.com/dv3/Untitled-1.jpg

on the left is what the member sees, but when changed to admin, the admin only sees a blank forum, the tags are still there, and in the profile page, the account does not see the previous posts he made.

but when changed back to member, its as if nothing changed.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That’s a pretty cool trick. (honestly, no idea why it’s happening.)

Are you using any plugins that could be causing that? What plugins are installed?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

“use display name” is notorious for causing disappearing forums and other behaviours though it could very well be another plugin.

#1 rule for diagnosing a problem is to slowly turn off all plugins and see which one is causing it.

A bigger problem is that a plugin could in theory even interfere with the creation of an account, permanently damaging it by not giving it the proper access rights to start with – that can only be observed by looking at the tables, ie. phpmyadmin.

i might have stumbled upon something…….when new posts occur, the admin account can see them…..is it possible that the history is not transferring over to the admin settings, and thats why he cant see them??

another stumble…..i can see posts that are listed under the generic “welcome to the support forums” forums as the admin. but not the specifically created forums that were created after install……

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Have you tried disabling any plugins as suggested? This is most likely being caused by a plugin. Try disabling plugins one at a time until you see the problem has gone away.

ok, so i have disabled each plugin, and all plugins at one time, and i still have this issue. i also created new member after all plugins deactivated, and upgraded it to admin, but still no dice.

im at a loss here…..

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Does the original keymaster see things normally? Only new admins/moderators have this problem? And it’s only new forums that were created after install that new admins can’t see?

the keymaster sees things normally. only new admins and mods have this issue. yes, its as if the new admins and mods cant access the database that logs the forums. i am at a loss to how this is. especially after ive deleted all plugins and even created a new member and upgraded to admin. same issue. the only thing i can see is that there is an update for wordpress 2.6.1…….could that be an issue?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It’s not related to this is it?

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/cant-add-topic#post-18610

All the forums set to categories? Just a SWAG.

ok, i know this is going to make me look dumb, but how do i do that? how do i change how they are set up without it messing everything up?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sorry – the categories thing applies to the alpha release only, not 0.9.0.2. Sorry for the misinformation.

so is it best then to upgrade? or is there another reason that would be causing all of this?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

No need to upgrade: I was just pointing out that my wild guess does not apply to you. The problems you are having are not going to be solved with an upgrade.

ok i figured it out, there was an issue where the bbpress and wordpress were using two different databases for users, once i made them coincie with each other, everything worked…..

thanks for your help!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That’s pretty weird. Glad you solved it.

I take all that babble back……it turns out it is Hidden Forums 0.0.2 by _ck_ ……….i turned it on again, and it did it again……once i turned it off, the stuff hit the fan again.

so something in that code isnt jiving with my new admins

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Show me what settings you are using inside hidden forums. One of them might be wrong, or there might be a bug.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar