Categories
Search
Bottom

Need to block ability to change password

• gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

Hi,

Setting up a WordPress membership site with bbPress. All is well except this site uses an external program for membership control and all email and password changes must be done in the external program.

I noticed that bbPress allows a user to edit their WP profile. I need to block this. I don’t need a forum program to give a user the ability to change their WP profile. Any help on how to remove the “Edit” link from the profile page would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

I kept digging around. I edited out the profile link in user-details.php template file. Seems to be working.

Shane Gowland
    Participant

@thewebatom

Any reasonably tech savvy user will circumvent this by directly typing the URL. Of course, while I’m certain this is a bad approach, have no alternative to offer.

gswaim
    Participant

@gswaim

Shane,

Thank you for your response. However, speaking of a “bad approach”, IMHO, I think giving the user an edit profile panel in a discussion forum plugin is a bad approach. At least give the site designer an option to turn it off in the settings.

Shane Gowland
    Participant

@thewebatom

bbPress’ profile pages are simply a front-end interface for the profile settings available through the WordPress dashboard.

The best approach would be to see how your external membership system is disabling this functionality in WordPress, then reproduce that for bbPress.

I think giving the user an edit profile panel in a discussion forum plugin is a bad approach

To be honest, this seems like pretty core functionality for any discussion board software. I’ve personally never encountered a forum that didn’t allow me to make changes to my profile or settings.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar