Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

My new social forum | please review

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

• Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

A lot of work ? Looks very nice. I had to check source code to see if you are cheating. 🙂

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

I had no knowledge of PHP when I started a few months ago and made it by cutting and pasting, copying and changing plugin codes, lot of topicsand tutorials read and many sleepless nights.

Deffo a lot of work but I hope it is paying off.

I have a dummy account for people who want to see members only functions like a “like” system and lots of profile functions

username : demo
    password : demo

Now working on @media queries so it is easier to use on mobiles

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

When you already use so much time and energy dont try to imitate Facebook. It is not worth it, and all this time can be used for something very unique for bbPress.

tubekraken
    Participant

@tubekraken

very slick website! very clean interface.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Now almost 100% mobile friendly, even the BBpress forums are looking slick.

http://www.onlijn.com

Now I will start looking for members, anyone is welcome to join.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

The new home / landing page
    Logged-in mmbers will not see this page but get redirected to activity wall

onlijn.com landing page

All Avatars and member names now link to their profiles instead of their activity.

The extended profile page
    Members can now share music/video and images in left sidebar through the frontend

onlijn.com profile pages

smwln
    Participant

@smwln

It is awesome!

Here I am struggling to extend my theme to support bbPress, and then I see this!

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi, thanks for the kind words, im humbled.

I am constantly working on this theme in my free hours, not knowing any php or javascript does not work in my favor and development speed is slow due to cutting an pasting till it works.

The actual BBpress forums look pretty cool I think, and these discussion boards are part of what seperates Onlijn.com from Facebook.

Onlijn Forums

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

Yes indeed, it is flexible for any integration. But….but…but…i am so afraid of some plugins and functions in them that other forums scripts (must) have on default.

– Quotes
    – Attachments
    – Views count
    – Unread forums/topics
    – Ignore User
    – Etc…some more.

I mean, WP support forums for this plugins are like, developer was active like 6 months ago. It they help it is few sentences each month.
    I dont complain for this, they do it for free. Just saying it is a danger game.

But, as long you dont update/upgrade bbPress/BuddyPress everything works i guess. There is small risk WP upgrade would ruin something.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

I agree, plugins tend to break WordPress every now and then, but I did hardcode certain plugins directly into my child theme, these can not update unless I update them myself.

In my first 12 months of WordPress studies/experiments there were a lot ofplugins binned due to conflicts or outright fails.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

I meant more to update/upgrade bbPress to refresh it and make all patches.

Lynqoid
    Participant

@lynqoid

The forums looks nice a clean, is the registration page a work in progress? I just checked it in firefox and the labels and things look a little funky.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi Lynqoid

Yes, the landing page is very much a work in progress.

It is also the page where I am testing my @media queries on so lots of CSS problems.

If I knew how XAMPP worked I would develop sites local first, but I am a total noob and have chosen to build whilst live.

Every page is still under construction, but I aim to finish before the end of February.

I am adding a few more functionalities, like member blogs, and as soon as they all work as expected I can finalize the CSS.

Thanks for the response.

P.H.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Oops I am typing too fast for BBpress

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

So here is my latest addition to Onlijn.com.
    Something to separate it more from facebook, and I hope in a positive way.

I can now promote members to authors, who can create content for the site through the front-end.

For authors there is a new link in their menu from which they can access their “Onlijn.com Blogger” page.

This is the actual Blogger page I just finished creating
    with lots of thanks to the maker of the Front End Publishing plugin

onlijn.com blogger

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

And this is an article I made and published through previous page

Now I am working on the actual “articles” main page where there will be thumbs/excerpts for each article etc.

Peter Hamilton

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Been busy and had little time to work on my new theme, here are a few updaes.

Removed the navigation on the right and re-sized the members header.
    onlijn.com members profile

Made a sidebar that holds three seperate sidebars, this allowed more info on relatively less space, tabbed for easy navigation between forums/articles/groups widgets.
    And here you can see he new sidebar on my new members page, all new members get an identicon if they do not upload an avatar.
    onlijn.com members page

joym
    Participant

@joymoleta

Hi, you’ve done a very nice job with your site! Since you seem like you’ve figured a lot out I thought I would ask about a block/ignore feature. I don’t believe it’s in the bbpress package, would this be something you could help with? Thank you.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Hi Joymoleta

I have not looked into that as a feature yet, but have seen a few plugins, all very old and forgotten but could still work.

I will have a look today and come back later to let you know if I found some.

btw. thanks for the feedback.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

I have working example of it. Will check later how it is done, now I am sitting at Netbook without my localhost sites.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

@Peter-Hamilton man, admin you are lying and trolling us ? 🙂
    How it is possible you made something like this without experience in PHP and WordPress.
    Mathematically impossible.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

Just checked. Ignore User plugin works well even 3 years old:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-ignore-user/

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

@stagger-lee I wish I knew more PHP, cutting and pasting until something works takes a long time, took me about 6-7 months to get this site to his stage.

Although I am more and more understanding it, still could not write it.

drake2k
    Participant

@drake2k

This is nothing short of amazing. I would love to get my site looking at least 3% as good as this but alas you are light years ahead of me. 🙂

Great job.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

So after updates with BBPress and Buddypress my site is currently broken but will have it up and running soon again with a much improved code.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar