Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Multisite installation giving users access to both child and parent site forums

• aclottmann
    Participant

@aclottmann

I’m part of an organization that supports neighborhoods getting organized for disaster preparedness. We’re considering rebuilding our site such that we have our main parent site with a forum and allowing smaller neighborhood groups to spin up a child site so they can have their own events, blog posts, and forums. Anyone who signs up to join a neighborhood group (child site), ideally, will also be registered with the parent site. We want the child sites to be very private and limit access to their forum discussions to only their own members.

For an individual user, I’d like their child-site forum view to include both parent and child site topics so they don’t have to check both locations to see if a question has already been answered. I don’t see any discussion about this, but does anyone know if a structure like this is possible?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

As described this would be very complicated, requiring both single sign on, and data links between two wordpress sites.

I suspect it is doable, but would take many hours work and probably custom code to achieve.

Using a single site, you could have bbpress and use this additional plugin to create private forums for groups whilst having other forums visible by all groups.

This will not fix the sub groups having events and blog posts

aclottmann
    Participant

@aclottmann

Thanks, @robin-w. Understood. Exploring custom code now and other ideas for structuring things differently now. Much appreciated. BTW – what was “this additional plugin”? Am I missing something?

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, link failed to insert

Private groups

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar