Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Multiple Forum Indexes

• khalidoudeme
    Participant

@khalidoudeme

Hello, I am in the progress of creating a tech related website with multiple pages such as Virtual Reality, IoT, Mobile, etc. I would like each of these pages to have their own separate forums, ex(www.techfanatix.com/Virtual-Reality/fourums) / (www.techfanatix.com/IoT/forums) etc.
    Each Forum page should have multiple forums ex(Headsets, Accessories, General – for the Virtual Reality Forum page) and (Smart home Products, Smart home advice, general- for the mobile forum page) and each forum page should have its own topics ex (PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift, Google Cardboard -) and ( Setting up home systems, etc- For the mobile) The Forum Pages + Forums + topics should all be available for each tech page as its own forum index. Although I would like for the content to be accessible through a single user subscription so they do not lose their Forum progress ex(badges, user ranking stars, a list of favorite topics, etc) I wish for these things to be visible within each of the web sites tech forum pages. Please help me set this up on my theme. I am currently using Hastia but am willing to use a more suitable theme.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

If I understand what you want correctly, just set each ‘page’/index as a category and then the appropriate forums as belonging to that category.

Then set up a page for each and use a shortcodes to display the appropriate forums for that page

eg
    [bbp-single-forum id=1]
    [bbp-single-forum id=2]
    [bbp-single-forum id=3]

lulukala
    Participant

@lulukala

@Robin: I had heard bbpress tends to heavily bog down when the forum structure gets so dense with so many forums and subforums? Is it possible a multisite sharing users with independent forums might be a better solution to the OP’s request?

Of course, I’m assuming that it’s possible for a multisite network to have a single set of user profile data as well [rather than simply sharing user names and logins and such.] If that’s not possible please let me know.

lulukala
    Participant

@lulukala

@robin-w whups, accidentally tagged the wrong person the first time. I would still greatly appreciate your opinion on the matter, especially in the context of bbpress 2.6 RC3

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry – I’m not the right person to ask – I just support and leave the dev to others. Can’t comment on performance.

Sounds unhelpful – but not meant to be 🙂

flamuren
    Participant

@flamuren

I tried this [bbp-single-forum id=1] on a new testpage and it did not show anything – just a blanc wordpress page. Do I need to write anything else than [bbp-single-forum id=1] to make it work?

Robin W

@robin-w

you need the id=1 to be the actual forum ID.

so go to

dashboard>forums>all forums and click the ‘edit’ button of a forum, you will see in url at the top

eg

http://mysite.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=29602&action=edit

so 29602 is the ID of that forum

flamuren
    Participant

@flamuren

Now I feel really stupid 🙈 Many thanks I will try that 😊

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar