Categories
Search
Bottom

Move from 2.6a to 2.5.12

• giobby
    Participant

@giobby

Hi guys,

I’ve been using the alpha version for a while now and my users don’t seem to be happy with it because of the lack of stability.

Do you think it would make sense to install 2.5.15? would it break the current data model?

Thanks for the help.

Gio

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Brandon Allen
    Participant

@thebrandonallen

Downgrading is possible, but how it could be a lot of work.

1. What version of bbPress are you actually running? You say alpha, but there have been betas released.
    2. Are you running any plugins that make use of new features and functions of 2.6?
    3. Have you made any customizations to your theme that make use of new features and functions of 2.6? I’ve seen at least one theme that requires 2.6 for bbPress support. Is this th
    4. I’ve seen at least one theme that requires 2.6 for bbPress support. Is this the case with your theme?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hey @giobby, sorry to hear 2.6 hasn’t worked out great for you. Are you able to elaborate a bit on what stability issues you’re seeing? 2.6 has many verifiable performance and stability improvements over 2.5, and our team is keen to make sure nobody feels the need to move backwards to 2.5.

giobby
    Participant

@giobby

Hi John,

I am realising now my post it’s not really useful considering the way I wrote it and I should have thought twice before publishing it. In fact I may have given the wrong impression. Let me elaborate….

Basically my users are facing some issue in terms of sudden disconnections/logouts and phantom posts (e.g. they create posts and forums and then they “lose” them or they cannot find them anymore).

I have never faced these issues myself, but it’s also true I don’t access my forum often.
    Also, considering that I am using other plugins, I cannot be sure bbPress is actually the main reason behind the issues.

What I can tell you for sure as a general feedback is that since I’ve moved to bbPRess from phpBB the forum has suddenly died and users are pushing me to roll back to phpBB as they don’t find bbPress as user friendly.

2.6a has been there for a while and I am wondering when a stable version will be available and what new functionalities will be available.

Meanwhile, what do you suggest to make my users happy?
    I am tempted to rollback to phpBB but I am also aware the resulting user experience would be quite disconnected.

Any idea on how could I make bbPress more PHPBB-Like?

Thanks,

Gio

giobby
    Participant

@giobby

Hi @thebrandonallen,

What version of bbPress are you actually running? 2.6a
    Are you running any plugins that make use of new features and functions of 2.6? I don’t know, I am using buddypress and a bunch of other plugins which I don’t think use ay bbpress functionality
    Have you made any customizations to your theme that make use of new features and functions of 2.6? yes I did, but it’s more about styles and elements visibility

Thanks

Brandon Allen
    Participant

@thebrandonallen

@giobby

What I can tell you for sure as a general feedback is that since I’ve moved to bbPRess from phpBB the forum has suddenly died and users are pushing me to roll back to phpBB as they don’t find bbPress as user friendly.

Humans are generally resistant to change. That doesn’t mean they’re wrong, but it also doesn’t mean they’re right. If you would be willing to share specific feedback your users have given you, we would love to look it over and see what we can do. There’s lots of room for improvement.

2.6a has been there for a while and I am wondering when a stable version will be available and what new functionalities will be available.

I’m curious about what specific version of 2.6-alpha you’re running (this should be listed in the admin on the plugins page, e.g. – 2.6-alpha-XXXX). Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter though, because we’re currently at 2.6-beta-2 (https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.2.6-beta-2.zip).

I would suggest updating to 2.6-beta-2 and seeing if anything improves. 2.6 will have a lot of improvements. Performance is one of those improvements. The biggest performance improvements won’t becoming until beta-3 is released, but you can always download the development version (https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/bbpress.zip).

Do let us know what comes of any changes.

giobby
    Participant

@giobby

Hi,

It just says “Version 2.6-alpha”.

I’ll try to download the beta version to check the improvements. Thanks.

Concerning the feedbacks, I don’t really get anything useful from the users and I start believing they are just lazy.
    Even though, stats speak more than words: before bbpress I had about 11K sessions per month, now I have 800.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar