Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Modifying what participants can modify when editing topics

• Chad R. Schulz
    Participant

@chadschulz

I’m trying to create a discussion board type site. Each forum will be only accessible through a shortcode pasted into a post/page. All the forums will redirect to the appropriate post/page so the users will never be able to access the actual forum hierarchy.

However, when a participant “edits” their topic they are given the option to move that topic to another forum–giving them backdoor access to the hierarchy that I don’t want them to have.

I simply don’t know where to go in the code to eliminate that edit option. All I want is for them to be able to edit the content and not the location of that topic. Leave all the topic redistribution up to the moderators and administrators only.

The site is not yet live, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chad

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Chad R. Schulz
    Participant

@chadschulz

I actually came up with an in-elegant solution using css.

select#bbp_forum_id, [for="bbp_forum_id"] {display: none;}

Participants are only able to edit posts for 5 minutes–per the default setting. I just prefer that all the backend stuff remain backend stuff.

If anyone has a more elegant solution (one that avoids the needless database querying for ALL the exiting forums/categories for every topic edit) please let me know.

Thanks again, Chad

Robin W

@robin-w

You might do better with

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

This will block backdoors, such as directly entering the url of a forum, finding stuff in search, and allow the use of widgets.

Chad R. Schulz
    Participant

@chadschulz

I don’t want a private forum. I’m building a publicly accessible discussion board site. All I’m looking to do is minimize a user’s ability to see into the forum hierarchy (it’s sloppy).

Whenever someone creates a topic they get 5 minutes to edit it. During that five minutes they have the option through the use of a selector to move that topic to another forum. This lets them see into the forum hierarchy that I’ve built into the site (categories/subcategories etc…). I want to prevent this from happening. They can edit the content, just not the location–I want to leave that to the moderators only.

The css “hides” this selector and its title. However, it is still being queried by the site and it still appears as a hidden element within the browser.

Thanks for the effort, Chad

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, hope you find a solution

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar