Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Modification of bbpress template for New topic area and new reply area

• g28f99
    Participant

@g28f99

Hello, I am creating a specialized forum combining wordpress(5.4.1), bbpress(2.6.4) and buddypress(5.2.0). The website is exptoge.com. I have already created child thyme in the wp-content/themes/mytheme folder and used functions.php and style.css to make some customization. Now I need some help to personalize the forum new topic area and new reply area.

1) New topic area, as shown in Fig 1,
    (please go to here to check all the figures ).
    For every new topic in this forum, I wish the following text appear in the “Topic content edit area” by default: “please clearly describe the place and time duration”. Once the user click in this area to input something, those text will disappear automatically.
    The google search box seems exactly demonstrate this effect as shown in Fig.2. Source of Fig 2, captured at chrome://newtab.

2) New reply area, as show in Fig.3.

For every new topic in this forum, I wish some text (e.g. “please select or input your selection” ) appear in the “Reply content edit area” and followed by a drop down selection list (similar to Fig. 4 or Fig.1 below part) by default.

The selection list is composed of two parts. The first is designed to choose a color, red, blue or others. The second is designed to choose a shape, triangle, circle or others.
    If the users choose others, a new input box will appear so that they can input their other choice. Text “please input your choice” will appear in the input box with function similar to Fig. 2 (requirements of new topic area above).

After the users make a choice or enter their choice, the choice result will exactly be the reply content. But, the above “please select or input your selection” text will be updated to be “I prefer” texts.

I am not sure whether it is possible to achieve above functions through making modifications in my themes. Anyway, thanks a lot for your time and efforts. You can log in with username “Daniel” and password as “Daniel8” to test “new topic” and “new reply ” function in this website.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• g28f99
    Participant

@g28f99

please check below for links to the related area:
    new topic area
    new reply area

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve added placeholder to version 4.5.3 of my style pack plugin

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>topic/reply form item 11

selection lists would be custom programming well beyond free help I’m afraid.

g28f99
    Participant

@g28f99

Thanks for your kind reply, Robin!
    For the first problem, I think I can write a simple plugin with an action to solve it.
    For the second, maybe some Javascript techniques will be used.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar