Categories
Search
Bottom

Migration from custom coded WordPress forum to bbPress

• aleksandar100
    Participant

@aleksandar100

Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been asked.

I have a WordPress website that has been custom developed on top of the Twenty Twelve WordPress theme. I want to migrate it to a new theme (on the same installation) and have been working out how to transfer the custom features to plugins.

The final step is the forum and I want to give bbPress a try but have no clue where to begin with. The forum posts are using a custom post type and are stored in the wp_posts table in the database.

I read about the custom importer, but I am not a developer and kind of got overwhelmed. Is there anyone who has done this before and can perhaps share their process step by step. I should be able to work it out from there.

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

probably start here

Custom Import

I started with bbpress and a snitz database – here is what I wrote as I went along which whilst you can skip the access database stuff might help you

Documented import from snitz access database

aleksandar100
    Participant

@aleksandar100

Thank you ! It’s still overwhelming for me, but at least I have a reference to look at.

I have one question:

All the forum posts are contained within the wp_posts table as well as other post types, pages, etc. Do I have to transfer them to a new table first and run the conversion then, or would it be okay to run on the wp_posts table ?

aleksandar100
    Participant

@aleksandar100

Sorry for the second reply, but I can’t edit the original anymore. I just found out that the forum replies are stored as comments in the wp_comments table.

How do you add that into the equation ?

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm – think you may need to hire someone to do this in detail for you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar