Categories
Search
Bottom

Migrating an existing bbpress to a new wordpress install failing

• meridian367
    Participant

@meridian367

Hello there,

So I have an existing bbpress sitting on another WordPress site. We are redesigning this website and migrating its content to a new install.

On the old website I exported Forums, Topics, and Replies using the WP Export tool. On the new website I first import Forums which works fine. Next after I import the Topics xml and check the topics page, I see all the topics, but they aren’t associated with the correct forum, the just say “No Forum”.

Is this a bug? Or is there a better way to pick up and move the entire forum to a new WordPress install?

Thanks so much!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

once you’ve done that run the repair tool, they’ll have had a different forum number on the old site

dashboard>tools>forums>repair forums

meridian367
    Participant

@meridian367

Thanks for your reply!

That doesn’t seem to have fixed it unfortunately, I ran each repair listed in there, and it didn’t fix the topic to forum relationship. Any other thoughts as to what it could be? I can provide you the xml files or access to the site if that would help too.

Thanks!

meridian367
    Participant

@meridian367

Anyone?

Robin W

@robin-w

do you have php access?

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry brain fade, what I meant to ask is do you have access to the MySQL database via phpmyadmin, so that I can get you to look a value up?

meridian367
    Participant

@meridian367

Yep! Just let me know what I need to run

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I still think that the import topics still have the old site forum id’s which won’t be correct

As bbpress uses wordpress posts then on import it should have allocated new postid’s for both forum and topics and linked these. The following work will be to see what it has actually done, then we can work out what to do next !

so on the new site

1. go into dashboard>topics and pick a topic without a forum, and edit it.

The url at the top will give the post id

eg

http://mysite.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=15602&action=edit

make a note of this as the newtopicid (I’ll refer to it later as that)

2. Then go to the forum that it should be, and again edit, and use the url to get it’s post id, and note this as newforumid (I’ll refer to it later as that)

Then go into the OLD Site and

3. go into the same topic and note the topic id as oldtopicid,

and

4. go into the it belongs to and note the number as the oldforumid.

So now we have newtiopicid, newforumid, oldtopicid, and oldforumid !

Then go into phpmyadmin on the OLD site (where it worked), and go into the sql tab and enter

SELECTpost_parentFROMwp_postsWHEREID= xxxxx

where xxx is the oldtopicid you noted above

This should come back with the correct oldforumid as the entry under post parent

Then go into phpmyadmin on the NEW site (where it doesn’t work) and enter the same query, and see what that comes back with

then come back and tell me what that reveals !

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar