Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

menu issue on forum in private area

• germars
    Participant

@germars

Hello, I am using s2member and I am managing to have the forum in the private area okay, but my issue is having the menus show up on all my private pages. For example, I called the page that the forum is on community-forum. I add my menu to the widgets area using a page number.
    However, when someone clicks on one of the forum topics (Plant swap, for example) that page doesn’t have menus because the page has somehow changed to Forums/forum/plant-swap. I can add the topics that people can post under, but how on earth do I figure out what the page number for those forums are? And there is no way to get a menu showing on a topic underneath a forum category. That page is forums/topic/test-topic.

How can I set this up so the menus for this show on all the private pages? I could advise the users to use the breadcrumb menu along the top, but I have no idea why it goes to the page “forums” instead of the page I set up. I can’t even find that page.

I can’t link you to the page, as it is in the private area of an established site.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

the forums don’t have ‘pages’ they are all posts with post numbers.

If you go to

dashboard>forums>all forums and click the edit button in the url at the top you’ll see

http://www.mysite.co.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=11316&action=edit

11316 will be the forum number

Apart from that I am struggling to understand your problem

Can you post some screenshots of what the issue is and what you would like it to show

germars
    Participant

@germars

Hi Robin,

I have a forum on another private site and it worked okay, this one has a different theme and I had to do a workaround to get the public and private pages showing.

When the public sees the site they only see four pages. One of which is the login page. When they login, they get the same menu on the left and a second, private one on the right.

landing page

Then they go to the Community Forum and it takes them to the page /community-forum.

I add the pages that show up on the right or left hand side in the private area by going to the widget section of WP and adding in the page or post. However, when I got into a forum (in this instance plant swap, it changes the page from /community-forum to /forums/forum/plant-swap/ And I need to know what that page is in order to include my menus on that post.

http://harveylakeland.com/images/widgets.jpg

This is how I have included menu items to be included on the private area.

Here are the images of the pages, and the issue. I could change the theme, but it would involve hours of work, when if I could find how to locate where Forums/forum is, I could get the post ID’s for them.

http://harveylakeland.com/images/forum-forum.jpg

I hope that is a bit clearer.

germars
    Participant

@germars

okay, that may have helped me. Can you help me by telling me where I can fix the css for the forum menus? They look terrible and aren’t really very obvious (at the bottom left of the page)

Thank you!

germars
    Participant

@germars

No, what I think I need is the way to find the page or post number for “Forums”. I created a page called community-forum, but the forums seem to go into a page (I think) called Forums instead and I can’t get the menu on that page if I can’t find it anywhere.

Does that make sense?

Robin W

@robin-w

forums is a virtual page – ie it doesn’t exist (not that pages really exist anyway!), and is not a ‘post ‘ in the wordpress sense of post

Rather than use the forums widget, why not just use a text widget, just put this in the content

<a href= "http://harveylakeland.com/forums">Community Forums </a>

germars
    Participant

@germars

Hi Robin,

You know, you’ve helped me solve this. In this case, rather than setting it to only post it to certain pages, I reversed it and said not to post it on four other pages and that way it puts it on the “virtual” pages automatically. Thank you, that was a big help.

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you’re fixed !

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar