Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Members only forum

• LautaroArino

@lautaroarino

Hi! My BBPress is working fine, this is more a question on what is possible to do. I would like to have a restricted forum only accesible by me and my coworkers. That is, they can only access it when they log in as for example editor or coworker. Is there any way to achieve this or anything similar?

Also, what kind of forum is this one we are using now? I can see its the same as in WordPress.org.

Thank you,Lautaro.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • When you go to edit a forum, you can set its visibility to hidden to prevent non-members from viewing it. For more control, get the “members” plugin by Justin Tadlock. This allows you to restrict a forum to whatever roles you choose, and allows you to create a custom error message. It also allows you to make custom roles.

docchewbacca
    Participant

@docchewbacca

I’m looking for a way to restrict a forum to a specified list of users. I don’t want to allow a whole role to access the forum, but only a list of manually selected members.

Is there an easy way to do this ?

I’m trying to use the Role Scoper plugin but it’s either complicated, either not working.

LautaroArino

@lautaroarino

@HTML_Guru

Thanks! I just tried it and the forum is only shown for those that are loggied in, but the link to the forum in the menu is still there. Have you any idea how i can make the link only appear to the ones with access?

If you are using the bbPress plugin, try my plugin at https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/forum-restrict//

LautaroArino

@lautaroarino

Thanks Rexgoode!

Will it hide the forum link in the menu from those that donthave access to it? How are you supposed to navigate to the forum anyway? It doesnt create a link when you create a forum.

Yes. Instead of the forum link in the widget, it has an Apply button so that anyone not a member of the forum can apply to become a member.

Members of a forum see the forum title and can click on it.

When you create a forum, in the edit box for the forum attributes, you can choose to restrict it before anyone ever sees it. Also, you can set existing forums to be restricted.

Each forum that is restricted has its own membership list.

bollocks187

@bollocks187

Rex -Ijusttried to download yourplugn from wordpressandgot this:

Downloading install package from https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/forum-restrict.1.1.zip…

Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

The package could not be installed. No valid plugins were found.

Plugin install failed.

Return to Plugin Installer

Thanks for letting me know. I believe it will work now.

bollocks187

@bollocks187

Mmmmm tried and got this

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_current_site_name() in xxxxxxx/wp-content/plugins/forum-restrict/index.php on line 488

Using latest WP and Buddypress

bollocks187

@bollocks187

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

See previous message

I highly recommend the “members” plugin by Justin Tadlock. It gives complete control over what roles can access any page.

I uploaded a fix for that this morning. look for version 1.2.

LautaroArino

@lautaroarino

Html-Guru and RexGoode

Does any of the plug ings you mention support the following:

1. A link in the menu should lead to the forum.

2. The link should only be visible when you have access to the forum. Otherwise you should not even know its there.

Thank you guys!

LautaroArino,

No, not yet. Maybe next version.

Version 1.2 is up and running.

Be sure to update.

terence.milbourn
    Participant

@terencemilbourn

@rexgoode ~ I was trying to get it to work on 3.4.1 and although it lets me apply and be granted acces, there’s no way to save the access once granted. The “Forum restrict administration” has no save button, so when you leave the page you still have no access. Also, there’s an un-named tick box on the far left which, as soon as you clich it, deletes the record its next to. And then you need to start again.

terence.milbourn
    Participant

@terencemilbourn

The other problem I see is that it identifies a user based on the IP address. Which is OK if you’re on a fixed IP, but if you’r on a virtual IP from your ISP then you get a new one pretty often. As a result your constantly having to apply for permission.

terence.milbourn
    Participant

@terencemilbourn

The “members” plugin by Justin Tadlock hasn’t been maintained in over a year, which is really a shame.

goddess_dix
    Participant

@goddess_dix

@rexgood, are you going to update this plugin for the current versions? the functionality is exactly what i was looking for…

Milo99
    Participant

@milo99

My forum works fine but when I use “Private” or “Hidden” I just get “No Results Found” even when I am logged in as admin. Also my WPemember does not work on the forum page this is a bit of a problem because my whole site is members only.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar