Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Make Private Forum Name & Topic Count Visible To Everyone

• demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

A slightly different question to the last one about visibility. I’d like to make the one private forum’s TITLE and TOPIC COUNT visibile to everyone. If they try and click on it, they’re taken to a page which tells them it’s members only (that part I’ve got covered).

I thought when I first installed bbpress this was actually the default setting but when I log out I don’t see the forum title. Have I inadvertently changed a setting whilst piddling around with plugins, or did I just imagine it? Is this at all possible?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

demonboy
    Participant

@demonboy

Hi Robin. Once again, thanks for the reply. In fact I HAD inadvertently done something silly whilst setting up my forums. I thought I’d repeat it here so everyone can learn from my own stupidity.

On your recommendation I installed the bbp_private_groups plugin the other day. This allows a forum to be accessed by a private group you create but also allows the public to see the forum title and topic contents if necessary. There’s a redirect for non-logged in users.

What the plug-in needs you to do, however, is make the forum PUBLIC. Somewhere down the line I had set it to PRIVATE.

So lesson learnt: make all forums public and just use the private_groups plugin to set it all up. The Private_forums_visibility plugin isn’t required if you’re trying to achieve what I was attempting to do.

You can see it in action here where the Assignment Submissions forum takes you to a page telling you the forum is private. It’s a nice way of encouraging more people to sign up too.

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you’re fixed.

Celtic
    Participant

@celticsweb

I used your link and installed the plugin and it doesn’t work i am using theme evolve and wordpress 4.2.2 … i thought that maybe it isn’t updated with the current version of wordpress and now it is not showing on the list so i can uninstall it so I manually deleted in in the plugin folder…. any ideas…. it will not let me give you the website link here so I am going to add the page I am working on in my profile info

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar