Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Make people want to join my forum!

• louisgeorges
    Participant

@louisgeorges

I’m using bbPress with wishlist to create a members only forum on my blog and I’m wondering if there’s a way to show the forum and thread titles to people without them being a member but if they click on the thread to read it they’d have to signup.

I think it would be a great way to entice people to signup to my membership if they can see all the thread titles but can’t open them to read what people are saying inside the threads.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• louisgeorges
    Participant

@louisgeorges

That’s not what I’m talking about. Once they come to your forum it would be a great teaser if they could see all the threads on your forum but can’t read them without joining “signing up.”

Robin W

@robin-w

I know of nothing that will do this at present.

bbpress has many ways in, but if you are not trying to hide content if the user is a bit savvy, then you could amend loop-single-reply.php to take out the content if not logged in

But to make it robust would be quite difficult

louisgeorges
    Participant

@louisgeorges

It’s just an idea, that’s why I put it in the “Requests & Feedback” section. Thanks for the comment.

u_Oi
    Participant

@arutam

Hi @louisgeorges

In fact you can do it 😎

1.- Copy the follow code and paste it in functions.php file (If you dont know about functions please read about it before do this):

//Restrict Topic and Replies Content For No-Registered Users
    function pj_hla_logged_in_topics($have_posts){
    if (!is_user_logged_in()){
    $have_posts = null;
    }
    return $have_posts;
    }
    add_filter('bbp_has_replies', 'pj_hla_logged_in_topics');

With the above code your visitors (no registered users) will see only the topic title. The code locks topic content and all replies.

2.- After pasted the code, try open a topic so you will see a bbpress notice about “you dont have access to… etc something like that”. You need to find the file where is that notice, to edit it with anything you want, for example a link to the sign up page (Sorry, I dont remember the file name).

To show topics titles in your post or other pages you have 4 options:

1.- Add each URL in your blog post with the same topic title and link it to the topic (hard work but good if you like linkbuilding)

2.- Default bbpress shortcode: [bbp-single-topic id=$topic_id] – Display a single topic. eg. [bbp-single-topic id=4096] ( https://codex.bbpress.org/features/shortcodes/#topics )

3.- @robin-w plugin: http://www.rewweb.co.uk/bbpress-additional-shortcodes/

4.- Hire a developer to create a shortcode to show last topics or whatever about topics.

Hope this can help you!

louisgeorges
    Participant

@louisgeorges

Thanks a lot, I’ll give a try!

Robin W

@robin-w

@arutam
    thanks for posting that -looks like a good solution ! 🙂

u_Oi
    Participant

@arutam

@louisgeorges your welcome! @robin-w thanks for the comment 😉

kenusys
    Participant

@kenusys

hi
    I am same situtaion like you , Did you solved this problem

Robin W

@robin-w

forums can be done using

Private groups

and forum visibility tab

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar